1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Crohns - on personal to.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ff392, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Hope you don't mind me asking if anyone has a partner who has Crohns ? Reason is my brother in law has now been diagnosed with Crohns and I wondered what my sister needs to be considering ? They have a joint hospital appointment next month but not sure she'll ask ?
    Huge thanks
    Freya

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

it really depends, it can be really severe or it can be managed. Diet is important, avoid spicy, very greasy/fatty or citrus type food. Bland foods are best: things like scrambled egg, boiled rice,bananas, weetabix, the sort of food you'd feed a baby really!
    There is a strong link between siblings for Crohn's so your partner might be wise to keep an eye open so to speak although you KNOW about the symptoms! xx

3. My sister and brother in law don't have any children but know they would like to one day . Thank you for the reply!

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I have had it for the last 15 years, possibly longer since it was misdiagnosed as irritable bowel for a long time.
    I was on daily medication all that time until I stopped it 2 years ago because the flare-ups had practically ceased. I have colonoscopies every three years and I appear to have a mild form of the disease, thank God. My father died of bowel cancer, so there may be some link. My cousin's daughter, mid-twenties, has a very serious case of it. She has had several operations.
    Both my children, mid-twenties, are not displaying any signs of it so far. My three sisters do not have it.
    Because my condition has been fairly mild, I have been able to manage it and have rarely had to have time off work. I have only worked part-time because of it, because stress can cause flare-ups. I also suffer from iritis, usually once a year, which is directly linked to the disease. This is an inflammation of the iris which is treated with steroid drops. That's another story!
    I can eat whatever I like but during an attack, stodgy food is best, no fibre. It is a horrible, debilitating disease if you are unfortunate enough to suffer from it badly. Not many people are aware of it.
    There is an official Crohn's disease website which you may find helpful. All the best.

5. Hi freya, sent you a pm.

6. Asked my sister and yes, it's a question and answer session for both of them !

7. So have they had the appointment?

8. yes they have - lots of questions asked and answered , now a case of trial and error with his diet !

9. Tell him to keep a food diary! Write down exactly what and how much you eat and drink. Also record symptoms, and any medications you have taken. Look for patterns, it's easiest to spot the safe foods first then you can experiment with foods which you aren't sure about. He might want to avoid foods which are hard to digest- nuts, seeds and skins in particular. Speaking from experience here :)