1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

crocodile clips / yenka and pics

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by re, Dec 29, 2010.

1. re

re New commenter

I design picaxe circuits using realpcb and program using either logicator or Basic via picaxe programming editor, which is a free download from Picaxe.com. The problem with using the autorouting software in Yenka is that it misses out some tracks - notably the 0v connection to an 8 pin chip (or it may be the +v - can't remember) and the obligatory pull up/down resistor on the input pin. Also the autorouted circuits are very big.
    In logicator you have to selecet the pic type and, if it's an 08 or 08M you have to specify the number of inputs and outputs.
    I think you can output a Basic file from logicator and import it into Yenka, but I'm not sure if it will give you a flowchart.
    I find the forum on the picaxe website very helpful if I get stuck with programming.

2. I have used CrocodileTechnlogy to program PICAXE chips but find it easier to explain (and use) through the PICAXE Programming Editor.
    CrododileTechnology does not put all the components on that you need as it does not show explicitly the Power lines, resets, pull ups etc. it still works as a simulation as long as you put a power line of reasonable value to attach inut and output components to.
    realPCB will have a go at the circuit but isn't very good. What I find the kids can cope with is
    1. design the circuit on CrocTech. use it to simulate the workings and maybe the rough program,
    2. produce a simple CrocTech with just the PIC and 'send' this to realPCB. This will layout a (very bad but accurate) circuit with the programming cirduit, power lines and reset switch.
    3. Change the on board switches to connectors if needed.
    4. add the inputs and outputs with all suitavble bits and pieces.
    5. write the program in flowchart in PICAXE progamming editor
    6. Finalise the program in BASIC.
    Hope all this helps, I don't get on with Yenka atm

3. I agree with the above but would add that if you like the PICAXE Programming Editor then you get so many more features in the compatible 'Logicator for PICs'.
    Revolution, who supply both of these, have added a huge number of new commands in the latest version. The intuitive editing features of Logicator and the many test panels and features make it really easy to use. It is available as free shareware or you can get a site licence for around £200. It also converts flowcharts to BASIC.