1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Croatia

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, May 3, 2012.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

We are thinking of going in September and have never been before. A friend suggested Porec.
    I know some of you will have holidayed there, so what would your advice be?[​IMG]

2. Dunteachin

We are thinking of going in September and have never been before. A friend suggested Porec.
    I know some of you will have holidayed there, so what would your advice be?[​IMG]

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Look at Cavtat too.

4. Dunteachin

Thanks, will do.

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I went to Porec when it was still Jugoslavia. It was beautiful. The weather was lovely (September) - not too hot but lovely and warm. We went on a memorable trip to local caves and also to Venice. I had a fantastic time but there were some funny bits.
    We found the service in the hotel a little lax. We arrived for dinner one evening about 20 minutes before the restaurant was due to close. There was nobody else there. We sat at the table and the waitress wandered round tidying up. She eventually passed near to us and we mimed eating (she didn't speak English). She just shrugged and walked off.
    We were on our honeymoon but had twin beds. We asked if they could put the beds together and make them up as a double bed and they said they would. They nearly did, they pushed the beds together ......
    When I arrived I realised that I'd only got the shoes that I'd travelled in - high-heeled sandals. I wasn't worried as I knew I'd be able to buy some flip-flops - but no! There were no shops for buying anything practical. I tottered around in these sandals for two weeks - on the beach, in the caves, on the ferry to Venice (feeling very seasick and wobbly).
    I wonder how much it has changed in nearly 30 years?

6. Dunteachin

I'll let you know! I definitely want to go to Venice, though.

7. dozymare1957

Did you go to Croatia DT? I just found this buried in my hotlist!

8. Dunteachin

Yes! In September and it was lovely. We stayed in the Fortuna Island Hotel, on the tiny island siuated a couple of minutes away by boat from Porec, which is a picturesque little town. The hotel was quite quaint and old fashioned and about to be refurbished, but the view across the bay to Porec was stunning. From there you can get boats to lots of other places.
    We had a day trip to Venice, which was spectacular but heaving with tourists - a massive cruise liner had docked and disgorged thousands of people. You could hardly move in La Piazza and it was scorching hot. I'd like to go again, though.
    We hardly saw anything of Croatia and need to go back and explore. It's a beautiful place.

9. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Porec is lovely, but pricey. Rovinj is better. *** has great Roman stuff. Take the bus to Rijeka then catch the ferry overnight to Split. Sheer bliss. It's a wonderful, brilliant place. I quite like it. Can you tell?

10. dozymare1957

Yes, I remember it being beautiful. My honeymoon was in 1983 and I suspect it hasn't changed much.

11. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

The modesty-panel hides the name P U L A . What the ???

12. dozymare1957

I wonder what a *** is?

13. Loved Dubrovnik. Great people and beautiful city.

14. dozymare1957

I've just googled it and according to Wikipedia (if you scroll right down the page) *** is a vulgar Romanian word for penis! (***** if penis is blanked out)