1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Critique my interactive whiteboard lessons for teachers!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by SparkMaths, Jul 21, 2020.

1. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

Hi, I've posted here a few times before and gotten great feedback, all of which I think I've managed to implement. I've just done a lot of updates on my teacher resources so I thought I would post for feedback again.

There are lots of great resources online but they tend to only do one part of your lesson and you have to spend time gathering resources together and pasting them into a powerpoint or dropping them into files to be ready for your students.

What I want to do is make a resource that can deliver an entire good quality lesson or sequence of lessons without any planning. This will free up time to do other things, like mark, differentiate for specific needs or make your own activities. My resources use a random number generator to change the numbers in the questions, so everything is reuseable with the same class and activites can last as long as you need them to.

I have low stakes quizzes, a whiteboard tool, AFL activities and independent practice for most topics. I want to have problem solving and extension tasks but that will take a lot of time, so there's also some links to website which have those things.

The idea is that your lesson plan will be something like:
    1) A Prerequisites Quiz, where you can instantly change your lesson to a different topic if students can't do the skills needed for the lesson objective.
    2) Go through the methods needed using the Whiteboard tool.
    3) Do some AFL with either Multiple Choice with colour cards or Match Cards / True/False with mini whiteboards.
    4) Independent practice interleaved with previous topics using the Mixed Worksheet, with the ability to change the interleaved topics to whatever your priorities are.
    5) A Topic Quiz, going back and doing more teaching if the whole class isn't getting 80% or more right (Mastery!).
    6) Extension tasks from the Extend links to other websites.

Resource: https://sparkmaths.com/index-lesson.html
    Video going through the features:

I've spent two years making this, I'm happy for it to just be something only I use in my own lessons, but I really would like more users so I get some good feedback to make improvements. So please give it a go and tell me what changes would make it useful to you, I'll try to make those changes!

2. JackEducation

JackEducation New commenter

Very impressive stuff. The whiteboard lessons are well structured and contain most of the material required by a teacher for a lesson. Having to zoom out for the AFL multiple choice task is not ideal but the that's just me being picky. Would the fix for that be difficult?

3. SparkMaths

Thanks!

Did you run it on an interactive whiteboard?

I tested the sizes in January last year and it fit on the more square shaped whiteboard I had to test it on. I'm going to be working supply in September so I can test again then.

The fix should be relatively easy, I can detect the size of the screen and adjust the sizes based off that. It'll just be time consuming to program all of the possible variations, especially as I don't know what those variations are!

Thinking about it, I should probably make a version for rectangular screens with the question on the left and options on the right. I'll do that next thanks, if I'm lucky it's just two lines of carefully chosen code!

4. JackEducation

JackEducation New commenter

It just seems to happen with tasks that use images, mainly in geometry. Don't have a whiteboard at home, only wide screen monitors. There is a lot of empty space around the images, maybe getting rid of the empty spaces might give the multiple choice boxes enough room to move up.

Also, do you have plans to create logins for users? Linking their results for topics to their accounts. Your site has massive potential and it's easier on the eyes than most, if not all of the other sites out there.

5. SparkMaths

Hmm, yeah a side by side view instead of the question on top should work if the images are too big. I'll get on it.

The images are a one size fits all thing, they are that big for the stats questions. I need to go over the geometry diagrams and make them larger to fit the space, I'm using a lot of default line thicknesses and font sizes. The diagram code is a nightmare though, you won't believe how hard it is to get the labels in the right position and rotation! It'll be something I'll slowly be improving.

I have no idea how to do accounts, I feel like it may be really difficult and require me to learn another programming language. It would be a huge improvement though.

At the moment results on the homework section are only saved for that specific computer/browser. I want to use it for my students in September so I need to work out a way to get the results back to the teacher!

I'm glad that you like the visuals. I think I have the best menus, some people haven't liked the yellow colour but I've toned it down a few times.