1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Criticisms of Fees and Mandatory CPD Declaration - IfL Responds and Appeals

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Mistermandolin, Jun 18, 2011.

1. IfL remains committed to its goals for 2010-11 as laid out in our 2009-10 Impact Review. Negative and childish comments on this and on other social media sites will not deflect us from our objectives as we seek to empower teachers and trainers in the the FE and Skills sector to be the best they can be in everything they do in the challenging months and years ahead.
    IfL remains committed to recognizing the importance of Continuing Professional Development. Members' annual declarations of 30 hours CPD will remain central to our vision and this is why we are increasing the number of hours you have to declare to 100 from 2013. We are aware, however, that many members perceive the CPD declaration process as something of a 'one way street' and we are concerned to bring CPD to our members in a variety of innovative ways in future months. To help achieve this objective I am pleased to announce that in partnership with various participating colleges we will, from 2013, be rolling out the IfL Journal of Training and Learning (IfLJTL), a twice-yearly peer-viewed journal dedicated to cutting-edge educational research within the education and skills sector.
    To help us get the ball rolling we will be investing approximately £1,000,000 in funding world class research. Recognizing - belatedly, perhaps - that the old VAK 'preferred learning' styles research has now been comprehensively discredited, IfL is using part of the initial £1,000,000 outlay to fund studies into viable alternatives and intends to publish the results in the first issue of the IfLJTL. Taking our cue from recent Japanese research that has shown a clear correlation between blood groups and learning styles we have already given grants and bursaries of up to £100,000 to fund research into the viability of 'importing' this research into the Lifelong Learning Sector. In similar vein (and taking our cue from the groundbreaking research of the late Michel Gauquelin in France) additional research grants have been awarded to fund the exploration of the influence of astrological factors on both learning styles and educational attainment. These are exciting areas and promise to be significant improvements on the old 'VAK' system (which was, if nothing else, a testament to how easy it is to sell pseudo-science and psychobabble to gullible managers in education who aren't smart enough to know any better).
    As we promised in the last Impact Review, the IfL mobile library will be visiting FE and sixth-form colleges throughout the 2011-2012 academic year and we intend to give IfL members the opportunity to contribute to this exciting research when the 'Big Book Bus' visits: either by donating a blood sample or by having their horoscopes read. Please make sure that you have eaten before you visit the bus and that you have your date and time of birth to hand (if known).
    IfL continues to give value for money and to work constructively with all members on their continuing professional development. We welcome comments on these and other initiatives as laid down in our Impact Review. We also welcome suggestions for research areas that we might include in future editions of our exciting new journal.

2. IfL remains committed to its goals for 2010-11 as laid out in our 2009-10 Impact Review. Negative and childish comments on this and on other social media sites will not deflect us from our objectives as we seek to empower teachers and trainers in the the FE and Skills sector to be the best they can be in everything they do in the challenging months and years ahead.
    IfL remains committed to recognizing the importance of Continuing Professional Development. Members' annual declarations of 30 hours CPD will remain central to our vision and this is why we are increasing the number of hours you have to declare to 100 from 2013. We are aware, however, that many members perceive the CPD declaration process as something of a 'one way street' and we are concerned to bring CPD to our members in a variety of innovative ways in future months. To help achieve this objective I am pleased to announce that in partnership with various participating colleges we will, from 2013, be rolling out the IfL Journal of Training and Learning (IfLJTL), a twice-yearly peer-viewed journal dedicated to cutting-edge educational research within the education and skills sector.
    To help us get the ball rolling we will be investing approximately £1,000,000 in funding world class research. Recognizing - belatedly, perhaps - that the old VAK 'preferred learning' styles research has now been comprehensively discredited, IfL is using part of the initial £1,000,000 outlay to fund studies into viable alternatives and intends to publish the results in the first issue of the IfLJTL. Taking our cue from recent Japanese research that has shown a clear correlation between blood groups and learning styles we have already given grants and bursaries of up to £100,000 to fund research into the viability of 'importing' this research into the Lifelong Learning Sector. In similar vein (and taking our cue from the groundbreaking research of the late Michel Gauquelin in France) additional research grants have been awarded to fund the exploration of the influence of astrological factors on both learning styles and educational attainment. These are exciting areas and promise to be significant improvements on the old 'VAK' system (which was, if nothing else, a testament to how easy it is to sell pseudo-science and psychobabble to gullible managers in education who aren't smart enough to know any better).
    As we promised in the last Impact Review, the IfL mobile library will be visiting FE and sixth-form colleges throughout the 2011-2012 academic year and we intend to give IfL members the opportunity to contribute to this exciting research when the 'Big Book Bus' visits: either by donating a blood sample or by having their horoscopes read. Please make sure that you have eaten before you visit the bus and that you have your date and time of birth to hand (if known).
    IfL continues to give value for money and to work constructively with all members on their continuing professional development. We welcome comments on these and other initiatives as laid down in our Impact Review. We also welcome suggestions for research areas that we might include in future editions of our exciting new journal.

3. Do I get a pin if I am astrologically and heamatically apporopriate? [​IMG]

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Dabbling in the numpty timewasting pursuit of astrology. Christ it's bad when these IfL people are so mixed up that they reject any coherent move towards empirical research and spend their time on chav activities like astrology.
    Astrology! You couldn't make it up. Astrology! What a stupid idea.
    Did they not think astronomy, maybe?
    You know, something that isn't a silly fiction.
    They probably offer facepainting as well.
    Collecting blood!
    Once again, the IfL are jumping on another bandwagon and dabbling in an area that they will probably put at risk by interfering.
    Just go now IfL. You need some serious people to make decisions and you are showing you don't have people of that calibre.
    Your magazine sounds like Take A Break.
    Why do we have to put up with this nonsense?
    Are they staffed by ex parking wardens and people who couldn't get a job anywhere else?
    It's got to be that because any serious person wouldn't work for them.

5. LOL to all 3 of you!
    What a load of tosh!
    I think mistermandolin is having a joke with us pobble and Jude Fawley!
    I'm not falling for it!
    Until I see a legal document saying that I have to do all this (which I and countless others will refuse to sign), I am treating the contents of theOP with the contempt it deserves and suggest that you do the same!Alternatively, I suggest that you put it to better use by printing it up and using it to clean up the sh1te that this OP has just expelled!

6. Me too! I'm not signing anything! Who does mistermandolin think he is?

7. It's a joke! I thought it was funny. [​IMG]

8. Best thing I've read for a while!

9. Apologies to Jude Fawley and to anybody else who was 'taken in' by what I thought was a clear and obvious spoof post. As far as I am aware there is no change to the IfL's CPD declaration, no Journal, and no Big Book Bus. I had assumed that any proposal to assess learning styles and levels of educational attainment with reference to blood groups and star signs would immediately 'give the game away' that my OP was, in fact, a joke. That's just not how education works in this country, as we all know.

10. No Spoof mate. Most IFL directors are on the cusp with uranus rising. looks like the Astrology is working

11. The fact that some people took this seriously bears witness to the general expectation that everything the IfL does is extravagant, time-wasting, dressed up in meaningless jargon and absurd. A great tribute to its image.
    I'm thinking of starting a major research project (funded from £ 2 million of IfL members' fees) on the contribution of phrenology to the brilliance of brilliant teachers in FE. I want all IfL members to send me their heads so as I can measure their bumps. There is a £ 68 fee for each reading and heads will only be returned if you enclose a sae.
    Anyone found to have a big Bump of Pedagogy will be classified as a brilliant teacher. so long as they pay IfL double fees for the next hundred years. Anyone with a big Bump of Gullibility will be appointed a Fellow of IfL and be required to pay £ 95 annually for the privilege. Anyone with a really mega-outsize Bump of Greed will be appointed as a deputy IfL president. Anyone with a Bump of Common Sense will be de-registered.

12. Oi ! nobody's feeling my bumps Thank you very much

13. Anyway with a small bump will be classed as a fatcat, given a salary to match and <strike>puppet</strike> PA to do all the donkey work for which he/she will take credit!

14. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

When do the IfL governors get re-elected - I've heard that hardly anyone voted for the current crop of governors. As it must therefore be very easy to get elected as an IfL governor or board member - would it be possible for a number of people to stand on a mandate of closing the organisation down?

15. But I've booked the Bus!
    Damn your eyes - I was looking forward to that.

16. @cariadwch. The IfL website gives election figures if you dig a bit. At last Advisory Council elections was somthing like 5 or 6% of members voted I think off top of head, so essentially yes you are right a well organised slate could do well in upcoming autums elections. However only 10 or so seats are up for grabs this time around, plus the Sexuality reserved seat which was not contested last time, so there will still be a clear majority of existing seat holders (about two thirds elected, rest reps of sector bodies like NUS, AoC etc).
    Also if you read TES two weeks ago an Advisory Council person at UCU Congress essentially said she felt Advisory Council had no influence. Advisory Council elects Non Exec Board (9 of them I think, again is on IfL website) - interestingly few of the existing Board actually teach in FE / wider sector.
    Essentially IfL has, whether deliberately or not, established a "democratic" governance model that betrays its founding principal to be "led by the mebers for the members" & makes your hope for closing it down via this route unlikely, & any reform highly problematic. Sorry to disappoint.

17. Hey, what do you have to do to qualify for the Sexuality Reserved Seat? And is there a reserved seat for a member who has no sexuality?If not, why not? It's not fair to discriminate in favour of people with sexuality.

18. Rosemary under IfL's nonsensical rules you now qualify to stand for this seat, as by posting your message you have indicated an "interest" - you do not have to "identify" as LGBT (a reserved seat in any progressive organisation would require this self declaration).
    If you post again about disability, and ethnicity, and something to do with gender that would show your "interest" in those areas too - and make you eligible for election in those seats too!!!
    IfL's governance model is astonishing in its ineptitude - major contributor to current mess

19. Someone senior must have had their eye off the ball(c*ck)

20. What are these rules and where can one see them? I can't see them on the IfL website. Could you point us in the right direction to locate them?

According to the IfL's Single Equality Strategy, "five seats will be reserved on our Advisory Council for expertise in race, gender, age, disability and sexual orientation."
    So where does the rule about indicating an "interest" come from?

Did the elected representatives on the Advisory Council not vote for this governance model then? If not, who did?
    You seem to have inner-circle knowledge of the rules and regs of the IfL's governance. Given such, perhaps you could provide us with the evidence for your assertion that the model is astonishingly inept. It might be illuminating for those of us who can't easily locate the finer details of the governance model.