1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Critical Essay Help

Discussion in 'English' started by laucat, Apr 25, 2019.

1. laucat

laucat New commenter

As a very new teacher I am still struggling with the teaching of a critical essay to BGE and also senior classes. I show examples....I break down the structure as much as possible.....I teach how a critical essay should be structured....but it is still a struggle for pupils getting their heads round it! Can anyone offer any tips, ideas or even any resources that would help for BGE AND senior classes?? Thank you!

2. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

Start with a model answer. Annotate the model answer by exploring the form, language and structure. I encourage students to create critical answers, or evaluative answers, by using phrases which allow them to express the impact of the text on them as a reader such as 'the text makes me think that / feel that / want to, the text is especially good at, a short coming might be / something surprising / interesting / disappointing (etc) is... '.
    But a properly annotated model answer with identified key phrases or sentence openings is a fairly generic way to approach any writing task.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

What's BGE?

4. PhuMyHung

PhuMyHung New commenter

Broad General Education. It's the curriculum in Scotland used for students in Primary 1 up to S3. So, this would be the first 3 years of secondary school when discussing English.

roamingteacher likes this.
  5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Give them LOTS of examples. They don't have to be full essays, but rather you can extract the paragraph(s) containing the feature you'd like to focus on. Get them to build up their conceptual understanding, including evaluating (a few) weaker and (many) stronger examples.
    Next, co-construct examples whole class and verbalise your thinking (and/or elicit it from others as they make suggestions), so they know the thought-process.
    Then try it in small groups / pairs.
    Only then ask them to produce their own.
    You can also use EdPuzzle and LearnZillion to extend and support their learning.