1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Critical Analysis of Residential Trips

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bekk06, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Hiya, I have been on here before and found this very beneficial :)

I am writing an assignment on a critical analysis of an educational setting and I have chosen residential trips.

I was wondering whether anyone knew some positive things about residential trips, what it teaches children, what are the opportunities about going on the trips, and also some negative things about residentials i.e. risks, limitations. The focus of the assignment is about opportunities for both the teacher and the children learning so if anyone also has any notes or information on how residentials benefit the learning for both then this would be very handy! :)

I hope people are able to help :D

Thanks

2. Speaking from a parental perspective, my daughter hated anything residential. In her Y5 her class went on an activity based residential, she did not want to go, I was subsequently persuaded by the CT she should, that she'd be fine etc etc, so she went. She cried throughout the trip, must have been a nightmare for the CT, yet on return the CT told me she had loved it. It was the parents of the other chn who filled me in on how my daughter had been on the trip. Anyway, top and bottom of it, she never went on another trip until she reached 6th form, she was anxious, but loved it. In between times she has of course missed out on many other residentials, probably due to the fact she was 'forced' to go when she was not ready to. So there can be for some chn real negatives.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I took year 5 and 6 on a three day residential to an outward bound centre in Wales. The children benefitted from having to look after their own posessions, working as a team, having responsibilities around the centre, keeping their room tidy and having a structured bedtime routine! There were a couple of children who cried at bedtime but not for long. I feel we have a very good pastoral relationship with the children at my school. Indeed, many of the children on the trip were the children of my friends.
    The residential is an invaluable part of learning for the reasons stated above. It also gives children opportunity to try new activities they would never otherwise have chance to do. The activities were physically challenging which took many children to the edge of their endurance and taught them a lot about what their bodies were capable of.
    Next year I want to take them to a city environment to experience a different culture and take advantage of educational establishments.

4. In defence of my school we choose somewhere local so that children who do not want to stay can come in the morning and be collected by their parents in the afternoon so that they do not miss the activities just the sleeping away part.