1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Crisis of consciousness - where to next?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ultimojakal, Apr 6, 2020.

1. ultimojakal

ultimojakal New commenter

Hi guys, first time poster and desperate for career advice.

Outline of career so far:

High achieving, successful Academy Chain School London:
    1 year TA - Year 1
    After PGCE:
    2 years Year 3 teacher (LOVED working here, driven staff, outstanding leadership, real sense of growth and progression)

International School (hated it, staff had no drive, did boring lessons, lazy staff in primary section)
    1 Year - Year 6

Same academy chain, different school London:
    First Year, head of primary science (no real responsibility, completely micromanaged, rigor WAY too much for children, no soul) year 3
    Second Year, still science lead, Year 3 left at Easter.

First proper London State School:
    April - July - Maternity cover, Year 5,
    September - till now, Year 3, Learning beyond the classroom lead.

options: stay at current state school, Want to ask for year 6 and head of English.

So far, in my current state school, it’s laughable how poorly managed it is compared to the academy chain I’ve worked for. No visible leadership, hardly any SEN support (current class is about 25% and wildly different), a head of school, an executive head and a head teacher none of whom run any assemblies, all of which are scared of parents. Attendance and punctuality for my cohort is ridiculous yet safeguarding lead/attendance officer does nothing. Year 6 is a different area altogether (children split into 3 classes of 20, best TAs in the school to support, are never disturbed) which feels like a private school.

I thrive when there is real teamwork and sense of shared values and vision. With the current situation, I know recruitment is up in the air but I’m desperate to be anywhere else, however I don’t want to make the same mistake and end up somewhere else that I hate. I’m looking at independent schools but the place where I started my career is recruiting and I’m tempted to run back (which, career wise, might be a backward step, if not definitely a side step.)

Reading that back, the choice seems obvious: anywhere but where I am now. It would be good to hear however if anyone has been in a similar situation?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Presumably the current head of English might not be too thrilled with this.
    Why do you want to go to year 6? What makes you think your school would want you to?
    Let's hope the SLT of your school don't read this post or you could find out that there isn't actually a job for you to go back to!
    Go for it.
    From what I can see you've only been a teacher for 6 years, so there is no reason not to make a sideways move. A less challenging role in a school you love is far more satisfying than a promotion in a school you dislike.

3. ultimojakal

ultimojakal New commenter

Hi Caterpillartobutterfly,

Thank you for your response.

The current subject lead (who is also a Year 6 teacher) is leaving at the end of academic year.

I'm with you there. Ultimately, I just want to work somewhere with like-minded staff with a strong school culture. In the current climate, it's going to be hard to get a jist of that without going in to visit schools sadly.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhh well that's different then.
    You can but ask, but you really don't sound like you want to stay there, so let someone else take it on if you plan to leave soon.
    You don't really get to know that until you get there and work for a few months.
    But your school sounds less pressured and there is something to be said for just relaxing and enjoying teaching, without the need for constant improvement and 'moving on'.

5. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Why don’t you look for posts elsewhere and go to interview with the aim of getting an English lead post. It does not sound as though you have found your ideal school yet.