1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Crisis of confidence

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tigger82, Apr 23, 2012.

1. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Hi All,
    I am having a bit of a wobble today over job oppertunities. I am trying to move from Secondary English teaching to SEN in Scotland.
    There are very few posts advertised and I am only applying for permanent full-time posts. Anyway I have an interview on Wednesday but I am feeling really flat about it. I have been so disappointed in the past and I am really doubting myself. Despite the fact I know I make a real difference with this type of pupil as a subject teacher. My results show that.
    I have spent a number of years doing a post gradute course in this area and have tried to develop my skills in my current role. I just don't know what else I can do to help my situation.
    I will go in on Weds and be enthusiastic and do my best but I am just so tired of this teadmill of rejection.
    Sorry for whinging.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't apologise for 'whinging'. Disappointment can so easily erode away at one's confidence. Hopefully, having had that whinge, you will now be able to as you say ' go in on Weds and be enthusiastic and do my best" and be able to say 'I got the job!.
    You know, your results show you have the capacity to make a real difference, whether in your present school or in another. So allow yourself to start believing in yourself again.
    Best of luck with it- you'll see I've added you to our thread to wish you 'fingers crossed and all that!'

3. akirk

akirk New commenter

Hey tigger82,
    One of my favourite sayings is "what's for you won't go by you".
    Regardless of the rejection, stay positive and remember what makes you a fantastic teacher and look forward to your future role in SEN. It's tough out there, and the fact you have an interview says a lot.
    Good luck on Wednesday!

4. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Thank you both very much!
    I think the confidence wobble is part of my getting ready for interview cycle. I convince myself I won't get the job so I won't be disapointed. Doesn't work.
    I said goodbye to my Standard Grade class today as they go on exam leave this week and reminded me why I love teaching. They were talking about how awful the class was before I came back form Mat leave and how they hated me for being strict at first.
    Now they are worrying about not being in my class next year! My class of lovable rogues.