1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cringing ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Apr 9, 2012.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

For the life of me, I'm not sure why I've started this thread. A moment of boredom, perhaps!
    We have these delightful elderly Spanish neighbours. They've only been here a couple of months, on an on/off basis. For some reason, they seem to absolutely love me. I've always been kind and helpful to them even though communication is difficult as I don't speak Spanish and they can only speak the smallest amount of English imaginable! They're here for a few days every month or two, and live in Spain the rest of the time. Mr Tarte is driving them to Edinburgh Airport as I type. A last minute offer prompted by me!
    The reason I'm cringing is that I'm in my dressing gown just about every time I see them [​IMG]) son who was visiting.
    Despite their obvious fondness for me, I'm now cringing at the embarrassment that was in their eyes. They must think me a right lazy slattern!
    Are there people in your life who always seem to see you a certain way? Is the perception they have good or bad and, if the latter, does it bother you?
    Sorry for the random question!

2. The son didn't believe what a minger you were. they brought him round to prove it. People always see me fragrant and beautiful.

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

[​IMG] Rotter!

4. Well I am sorry but the truth hurts, dear. What other explanation have you come up with? Oh, rereading your post - none! Now go and take those curlers out, some pretty earrings and a bit of lippy and you're good to go. A start anyway.
    X

5. It can be no worse than my start of holidays faux pas. Normally i get up at 5, potter around the house getting dressed and sorting hair etc before leaving at 5.40. One of the last things i do is put my top on, having wandered around in my bra, as i am the queen of the 'unsightly toothpaste down the top' mark that refuses to come out! On the first day of the holidays i had a slight lie in, before heading off to collect OH from hospital. Woke up and followed my normal routine, was washing the dishes in the sink before i realised that the postman was knocking on the kitchen window with a parcel and i was washing dishes in jeans and a bra. [​IMG] Needless to say, he dropped parcel on the doorstep and ran, and when he has been here since this week I have made my OH answer while on crutches!! I'll be glad to get back to my normal work routine where i can't terrify anyone with my semi nude form in the mornings!

6. ROFL
    For a horrid moment I thought you were a.n.other poster there gorgy!

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It wasn't embarrassment, it was the predatory gleam of knowing they can get free taxis to the airport.
    You will need to work much harder on this: hug the door frame and invite them in for a wee drinkie, make sure Jeremy Kyle is blaring, the bin overflowing with empties, and that a huge pink d!ldo is clearly visible on top of a mound of unwashed clothes.

8. Oh I am far more slatternly, tartetatin, promise.
    I get home and straight into sloppies, no bra, no socks and no real appreciaton of the odd food stain!
    At weekends I let my hair get nice and greasy, it has a couple of days off from all the blow drying during the week and seems to keep itself nicely that way.
    So, when not so near neigbours come for eggs or to leave The Watchtower I am not exactly presentable - imagine Waynetta Slob without the fags.
    I am usually mortified for about 30 seconds after they leve, but never seem to do anything about it!
    Oh, I feed and clean the chickens and do the garden in much the same manner. I am home... nuff said!

9. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Laughing at you all!
    Am now all dressed with make-up on (my usual gorgeous self [​IMG]), ready to go out with Mr Tarte.
    Wish I'd been like this when they came round an hour ago [​IMG]

10. Maybe they will say something along the lines of " English lady with no clothes you coming my villa Espana very nice hot hot swim swim "

11. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

I'm afraid I can beat you all! [​IMG]
    It was a Sunday morning, I was still married to the first husband, and you KNOW what sometimes happens on a Sunday morning....[​IMG]
    Cue very frantic knocking on the door. 'I wonder that that is? ' said I. 'Ignore it!', said he.
    The banging on the door went on, as frantic as before. 'But it might be something important!, said I, before springing out of bed, grabbing a dressing gown and running to the door.
    There on the doorstep were two delightfully smiley people, introducing themselves as the new people who had bought the flat upstairs. 'Oh, how LOVELY!', exclaimed I. 'Darling! Darling! Come and meet the new neighbours!'
    Ex husband grumpily got out of bed, put on some old shorts and grudgingly came to meet the new neighbours. We were all standing there having a pleasant, 'How do you do?' chat, when I noticed that the ex husband obviously had a bit of tissue hanging out from the bottoim of his shorts- there must be a hole in his shorts pocket! I thought, reached forward, grabbed the tissue and pulled it.
    SUDDENLY, ex husb started fighting with me, manhandling me and closing the door on me, eventually slamming me outside with the door!
    Well! That was blinking peculiar, I thought, as I finished making conversation with the grinning new neighbours, before banging on the door for him to let me in.
    'Weren't they lovely?!' I asked.
    'Yeah, great!', he muttered. 'D'you think they saw THIS?'
    There on the floor was a condom, wrapped in loo roll, that I'd wipped off his *****, just minutes before.

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

13. Oh, I always look grotty when people turn up! I have school work clothes.. and then all the grotty old things I kick around in when I'm doing house or farm work.
    I had a potentially embarrassing moment last week at school when I walked out of the toilet with the bottom of my skirt, deftly tucked into my black underpants... would NEVER have lived that one down, if a member of staff hadn't noticed me first..... !
    And I totally embarrassed myself today. Some of you know how fond I am of my dog, and I quite often chat to him... Today, I took him for a wee run in the car to the nearest town, where I had to stop briefly at a few small shops. Everytime I got out of the car, he started barking furiously. I turned around the third time, and said loudly while holding up two fingers... "Oh.... ***.... Look! I'm only going to be two minutes! So will you just wait?! " ... just as someone was walking past......

14. Oh Annie, you are a daftie. Everybody swears at their dog occasionally! Or even frequently!
    The knickers thing.........much more embarrassing! [​IMG]

15. Lol! It wasn't the swearing.. it was the holding up the two fingers to emphasize that i was only going to be 'twa meenuts' that did it... like I expected him to understand the gesture... [​IMG]

16. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

tartetatin, convince them it is a quaint British custom.