1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Criminology and Media joint Degree what can I do a GTP in?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by nar0252, Jan 9, 2011.

  1. Hi All,
    I am 21 years old and have recently graduated with a joint honours degree in criminology and media studies in the London area. I now realise that I would love to teach but am aware my degree will not be a straight forward route into teaching. Does anyone have any suggestion's as to what subjects I could do a GTP in in order to gain QTS as I realise once that is secure your degree subject becomes less of a main focus. Do many schools teach media at gcse level? or would citizenship be my only route? Otherwise what would I need to get into teaching college level education?

    Any help would be greatfully received.
    Thanks, Natasha

  2. j_pink

    j_pink New commenter

    Natasha I would consider a post 16 teaching (adult learning) qualification in Media Studies, pshycology or sociology. You can work in a 6th form/college then work your way to being a lecturer at a college and perhaps with further study (masters in your chosen subject)...university lecturer?
    You could also consider teaching in Primary education at SEN schools considering children who have social and emotional difficulties?
    Hope this helps.

  3. Thankyou for your response, it has been helpful
    I was thinking media would be a route however my degree was not based on producing and more the study of media in general is that the type of media taught in schools? I thought it was more production based and thought perhaps that would be a limitation, would you happen to know about this?

  4. Thankyou also for your response, it has been very useful, nice to know there are people who are happy to help out there.

  5. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    It is really up to the individual university to advise whether your degree is suitable. You can look at the GCSE and a level specifications on the awarding bodies websites such as edexcel.org.uk this will give you a flavour of the course content that is taught in schools.
    Do not delay applying as many PGCE courses are already filling for september.

Share This Page