1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Criminal Record: What happens

Discussion in 'Personal' started by parjon, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hello. I have had a tough few months personally with a bad NQT year that ended with my school not renewing my year contract followed by a relationship break up and loss of home. This all happened in a 4 week period and didn't deal with it in the best possible way. I have been put on antidepressants by my doctor as have developed a major episoded similar to when I found out I was HIV +. I stupidly (feeling very down about this) got myself a motoring criminal record in the 6 weeks holiday which I know will come up on future CRB checks, what is now worrying me is that this could prevent me from carrying on in my profession as a teacher and I have found this to be the most satisfying job I have ever had. I am willing to be honest about the conviction but hope that this will not stop me teaching or getting interviews. I am ashamed to say the conviction is for being over the limit whilst driving, and have received a ban of driving and a small fine for this. There was no accident or persons injured with this offence and my over limit was by 10 microgrammes. If anyone has advice on this matter or know's of anyone that possibly has been in the same situation and what happened to them I would very much like to know what the future many hold for me. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. Hello. I have had a tough few months personally with a bad NQT year that ended with my school not renewing my year contract followed by a relationship break up and loss of home. This all happened in a 4 week period and didn't deal with it in the best possible way. I have been put on antidepressants by my doctor as have developed a major episoded similar to when I found out I was HIV +. I stupidly (feeling very down about this) got myself a motoring criminal record in the 6 weeks holiday which I know will come up on future CRB checks, what is now worrying me is that this could prevent me from carrying on in my profession as a teacher and I have found this to be the most satisfying job I have ever had. I am willing to be honest about the conviction but hope that this will not stop me teaching or getting interviews. I am ashamed to say the conviction is for being over the limit whilst driving, and have received a ban of driving and a small fine for this. There was no accident or persons injured with this offence and my over limit was by 10 microgrammes. If anyone has advice on this matter or know's of anyone that possibly has been in the same situation and what happened to them I would very much like to know what the future many hold for me. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Welcome to TES, parjon

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

welcome! So nice to see your 1st post.
    Guess you have been reading a lot since you joined in 16/11/2009?

5. I'm sad to say it's not looking good for you right now. just start applying, and see, also apply for supply agebcies, private tutoring, as many different things as you can. I know you can lose your QTS for this, but also know not everybody does, it may actually be you are better off that it happened while you were not officially employed, so don't have an employer who sees it as their duty to disipline you.
    Sorry things have gone so badly for you
    Good luck

6. Hello

I passed my QTS in 2010 and my NQT in 2011, does this mean I could loose both? (even more to worry about lol)

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Hellfire and brimstone.

8. fab208

fab208 New commenter

parjon, I think it is down to individuals how they view a criminal record on an application and obviousy the offence is the real deal breaker. I know of two people who have got jobs having stated their offence (over the limit driving and possession of marijuana but both were a few years before they had applied - well two years and four respectively).
    I had someone at my school who was employed already who was convicted of drink driving - they carried on doing their job (caught bus to work, cadged lifts etc) and gave up drinking as a resultof the conviction. It didn't affect their ability to teach and four years later he got another job.

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

and a short sharp visit from the spelling and grammar patrol

10. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

tis ok, serens having a night off....