1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Crikey.....that's a bit rough!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sidinz, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I've seen a job I want to apply for, here on TES. Only the school requires that applicants use the TES online application portal.
    "What's wrong with that?" I hear you ask. Well, the problem with that is they get to see every dust-up, whinge, scathing or foolish/tongue-in-cheek comment ever made on this forum and connect it to me, as one must be registered and logged in to use said application portal.
    I attempted to get around this by creating a new user, using a different email address. Alas, the system told me that I already existed.
    So what to do? Delete this username and its history in order to remain more anonymous during a job application, or risk it?
    TES, this is pants. Surely people should be able to have an online persona and have a separate username for the serious business of job applications.

2. Sigh.....and so is a system that tells you that it hasn't worked, when it has.

3. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I can't help wondering why any school would make that a requirement.

4. Afaik you can't delete your history on here - I managed to because several years ago some malicous person had logged on as me and posted several, quite frankly, balmy postings. A couple of years later I applied for a job and they did a google search on my email, my username on here having been the same, and said mental postings came up. When they phoned me to tell me I hadn't got the job, they told me the reason being these postings. I contacted TES and squawked about it, they looked into it and could see that the postings in question had been made from several different ISP addresses than all the others I had made, so accepted my 'story' as it were about this other person (someone who had been bullying me at work), and therefore deleted the postings.
    As I had been using a new username for the previous two or so years (and had actually forgotten about the orginal username all together!), this wasn't a problem to me and my postings, and I had an entirely new identity on here, but it was pointed out to me that this was a highly unusual situation and they 'wouldn't do this just for anyone!'.
    Soooo - can you not log on at a different ISP and create a different account from there and apply? A bore I know, but might be nec.? (By the way, the portal is pretty poor anyway, not actually delivering applications is one of its tricks...).

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Sidinz, as you can see I use my real name, because I think if you've got something to say you shouldn't have to hide behind a pseudonym. It's called democracy, 1st amendment, etc. In fact, these days, if I google someone and can't find much on them I wonder what's wrong with them.

You should be judged on your teaching. If a head doesn't give you a job because of your on-line postings he is probably a complete w@nker, who you wouldn't want to work for anyway.

Theo tells me that some teachers have been disciplined for their on-line posts. If someone tried this on me I'd tell them in no uncertain terms where to stick their discipline.

So, if you are applying to a decent school, I wouldn't worry too much about what you've said here, or anywhere else.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I'm getting that déjà vu feeling!

7. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

The answer to this one might be to create another e-mail account and then you can log on to the TES website as another user. I am not sure that using your real name is always a good idea. Mrs Hippo agrees with me.

8. MisterMaker

...and here I am thinking you really were called Mr Hippo...[​IMG]

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

So would I, David, so would I, a Donnish (think Quixote rather than Oxbridge) attitude which has got me into hot water (not to mention melted lead) on numerous occasions. But, at least in the unlamented days when I was a wage-slave, I felt that the pseudonym was a useful, if flimsy, protection against employers and others who might not share my sense of the ludicrous.
    Getting the bum's rush on my own account wasn't the point, so much as the impact on my family on the occasions when I told the employer where to insert not his discipline but his school, complete with salient architectural features.
    I <u>would</u> worry. I'd also be concerned that malicious persons (there <u>are</u> a few in teaching, surprisingly enough) might capitalise on my openness. A few years ago I was 'outed' on these boards by somebody who was intent on embarrassing me with my Board. The amusing thing was that being an incompetent he succeeded 'outing' not me but my successor who is not a member of this forum.
    It can work the other way. I've just had a look at your online CV. With your Maths/ Science/ IT background you clearly have a lot to offer but as far as I can tell your longest stay in one school has been 15 months and many of them have been far less than that. Do you ever think you may have overdone the Don Quixote stuff?

10. Crikey Mainwaring, that's a bit rough.

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Not if you are a fearless type who revels, sans nom de plume, in your own fearlessness. And do you really think, compa&ntilde;era, that I'll be the only poster curious enough to take Doughty Dave at his word?

12. MisterMaker

Put yourself on a pedastal and expect to be shot down. If you can't put up with the slings and arrows of outrageous postings don't paint a virtual target on your head. Putting a real name on these boards was rather foolish.
    M has highlighted, perhaps indirectly, an interesting point. There are plenty here who think I'm barking mad for my expectations, such and using application forms. It is interesting that one or two of them clearly don't have the credibility they pretend to have when they attack this notion. It's one thing having the odd short contract, many who have dabbled with this type of life will have experienced such a thing, but to make a career out of it seems dubious. When I give advice some folk may think me harsh, but it comes from someone with 20 years 'on the road' and a mix of good and not so good schools amongst them. If those who put opposing opinions are shown to have less credible experience then this is perhaps for the better.

13. Crikey.....that's a bit rough!
    'Donde hay confianza da asko'.......loosely-lauss, speaking. [​IMG]
    Back to the Vikings.
    You've given me an idea; I'll add a bit of Norse alliteration.
    I have a terrible headache today.

14. MisterMaker

Either my Spanish is too rusty or this is gibberish - where is the trust of what? 'asko?'
    I thought Fp and I had made it clear, this silly tendency of using foreign or dead languages should be avoided. If you what to send secret messages PM folk.
    all that thunking you've been doing - or as folk not far from my origins may say, 'it does me head in.'

15. Sandman

Sandman New commenter

No more foolish than giving enough information in your posts so a year 7 student could find out your real identity.

16. MisterMaker

So that's who you are. You never came across as a real teacher. I've been tending to ignore you obsessive behaviour towards me, now I realise you must be an ex student. Explains a lot.
    Get a life. I'll go back to ignoring you now.

17. David Getling

Fair point, but it really has nothing to do with my teaching or me having itchy feet. Surely it's better to take temporary positions than sit on your butt waiting for a permanent one that may never turn up. Actually, there are only two school positions I chose to leave. One was a part-time FE one many years ago, when it was a choice of finding a full-time job or losing the house. The other was also a part-time position, that I was very happy in, but again I wanted/needed a full-time one.

If a head was unsure you would think that, with Maths/Science/IT, the sensible thing to do would be to have a quick chat with my referees.

MM, I agree with your remark about short contracts (for a school career), but sometimes one doesn't have the choice. Even more unfortunate than my circumstances, I gather there are many good teachers in the UK who have been struggling to survive on supply teaching for years. They seem to be in a non win scenario, with many heads regarding this as a stigma.

And yes, sorry Sidinz, this thread, like many others has strayed off course.

18. MisterMaker

In my recent recruitment drive you might be surprised that those subjects were very well represented, there's certainly no shortage of good quality experienced Maths/Science/IT teachers looking for work right now. I'd expect you'd find it difficult to be short listed for the better schools, which is the point at which I'd be checking references.
    Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and take a job somewhere we'd prefer not to in order to get things, like our CVs, back on track. One of the first things I look at is the current / most recent job and if that was decent then I'd be more forgiving with previous short contracts / issues.

19. David Getling

Oh! That would explain a lot.

Most recent job was only for a term and a couple of weeks, but both me and the school (as far as I can tell) were very happy with things. So, I guess many heads are a lot less forgiving than you.