1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cress - i - DAAAAAH!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I haven't heard this called in the back street yet, as it were, alongside 'Ton - YAAAAAH!' and 'Alee - SHAAAAAH!' but I expect it is only a matter of time as I see this name so frequently in news reports now that I regard it as a chav name already, irrespective of the story's context. Anyone have a Cressida in their class this year? If not, then you shouldn't have to wait too long as the Hunger Games sequel Mockingjay features a character with this moniker:

[​IMG]

I expect the Telegraph to soon be running stories featuring graphically-challenged mothers defending their surly and cinematically shorn daughters' reputations against exclusion.

(If you don't want Mockingjay plot-spoilers then don't click the image.)

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Watch out for the imminent retaliation of the Mumsnetters, Vince.

3. Vince_Ulam

Popular with them, is it?

4. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

That's almost weird.
    I had two in a training group a few weeks ago after years of not seeing any at all.
    One preferred to be called "Kress" though (Both in early 20s)

5. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I'm so looking forward to Mockingjay part 2. I've loved the films, so much better than the books they're based on.

6. Vince_Ulam

Did you think of them as poshchav1 and poshchav2?

7. Vince_Ulam

I'm late coming to the YA genre but I enjoyed the Divergent film very much. On TV, The 100 wasn't too bad either.

8. Vince_Ulam

I like the chavving of culture. Once upon a time people would have thought 'Cressida: Homer, Shakespeare'. Now they're going to think 'Cressida: Kia-Ora, Popcorn'.

9. Vince_Ulam

It seems like Viz saw this coming down the line back in the 1990s with their strip The Modern Parents. From what I read on the linked page it seems like Cressida & Malcolm Wright-Pratt embody much of the madness being forced upon schools today by pie-in-the-sky educationalists:

• 'Cressida delights in pointing out that, as a woman, she is an oppressed minority while Malcolm frequently claims he has "Sensitive Persons Syndrome". A committed environmentalist, he insists he supports public transport, but cannot use it himself because his Syndrome prevents him from getting on a bus or train and his Volvo "is Scandinavian, so it must be eco-friendly". The pair often identify themselves with ethnic minorities, claiming to have some Celtic heritage or that they were Native Americans in a previous life.'
    • 'Malcolm and Cressida believe that all humans are equal even to the extent that there is no such thing as immaturity. Tarquin is often greeted by the sight of his parents openly having sexual intercourse (having also previously announced this intention to their kids).'
    • 'Despite his female name, Guinevere is a boy [one of their sons]. Wanting to avoid gender stereotyping, Malcolm and Cressida occasionally try to make one or both of their sons wear girls' clothes or take "female" roles in some psychobabble ceremony.'

10. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Prince Harry has an ex called Cressida. : )

11. yfel_endwerce

No
    Neither was particularly posh or chavvy. Other than their names they were fairly common-place

12. Vince_Ulam

++Poshchav.

13. Vince_Ulam

The name is sufficient.

14. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Don't like it much as a name anyway. But I really loved Modern Parents!

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I doubt that would happen, because as we teachers and ex-teachers all know [picks up and rustles script, clears throat] "it's impossible to guess at children's likely personalities and academic capabilities simply from their parents' choice of name for them." [carefully folds script, files it in bin, and gets back to reality].

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

17. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

You're stereotyping, Vince.
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines]

18. yfel_endwerce

You appear to be ever so slightly judgemental Vince.

Were you "blessed" with particularly unusual name?
    :D

19. Vince_Ulam

20. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Some of my nephews and nieces sound a bit like this, saying 'Gee-AAAH' and 'Priy-AAAH'. They are only young, so, hopefully, they will grow out it.