1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creepy walk

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flowersinspring, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Out for our walk yesterday. Emerged from a canal path onto a main road with a housing estate on one side and older houses on the other. Just ahead was an empty car show room that sits in front of a secondary school. Apart from me and my dogs there was no one. No cars. Nothing. That's all good, obviously. But then the wind got up. It began to whistle. A wire clanged against a post and rang its echo across the empty space. I suddenly felt very vulnerable and creeped out. It didn't last long but it was so weird.

Jamvic, Nanny Ogg, sodalime and 3 others like this.
  2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I know. In a way it can be even creeper if you see other people, 1 person passing t a distance with cheery wave and smile, lovely. 3 separate other people all arranging themselves to be 2m away from each other as they converge, and pass, all moving past and on it complete silence was really freaky. I wondered after why I hadn't waved and said hello myself, but everyone else was grim and silent and it sort of infected me. Of course its hard to know what other people are going through, and a cheerful hello might be completely inappropriate if someone has just been bereaved, or is looking at imminent bereavement

Jamvic, smoothnewt, sodalime and 2 others like this.
  3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

On Friday, my wife and I cycled along the Uxbridge Road, through Southall, as far as the South Circular Road, at Ealing. There more empty busses on the road as other vehicles. Cycling as we were in the bus lane, strings of three or four would pass us frequently carrying 'nobody to nowhere'. Most shops were closed, and those that were open, like grocers and pharmacies has long queues outside them, some being shepherded by 'queue marshalls' wearing tabards. Since most people queueing had their mouths and faces covered and keeping apart from each other, it made me think of those pictures of blinded soldiers in WW1, hands on each other's shoulders, being taken to a casualty clearing station.

Jamvic likes this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The zombies will start emerging soon ....

nizebaby, Jamvic, Stiltskin and 5 others like this.
  5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

One of the reasons I have been enjoying running on our local common, which is in fact an expanse of woodland, is that it is very much the same as it always is and I can imagine that times are normal. The only noises are rustlings and birds, as is always the case.
    That said, it is slightly busier than normal as others are discovering it as a good place to escape the busier parks.

Jamvic, needabreak and Corvuscorax like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

On the way back from the supermarket yesterday we were passed by three buses.

The first one had one person in it.

The following two were empty

On the rest of our walk home we passed a total of 4 people.

I'm not enjoying this.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The towpath by our local river was like Piccadilly bloody Circus the other night so we've stopped walking down there. Joggers and cyclists puffing and blowing everywhere, unleashed dogs jumping up at us, endless people handling stile gate latches. I wish it had been more deserted and creepy. We're just making do with a quick circuit of the village for exercise now - sod scenic.

Jamvic likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's very important to have an exercise period though.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

We've avoided the canal towpath by us as it is too narrow to pass anyone with a decent distance. Two of the three parks nearby are ok though.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Jamvic likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We're planning on visiting a small nature reserve which is about 10-15 minutes walk from the house.

We've lived here for 10 years and never visited it before.

11. May2

May2 Established commenter

I'm surprised you all have parks still open around you. All parks in our area have been closed including a very small children's play park in our village.

Jamvic likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The local park is still open - I'll be cycling through it later.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

The playgrounds and sports equipment are all closed off but the parks are open.

Jamvic likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There are about 3000 Mallard Ducks living in the park - without people to feed them they would be on a plate with orange sauce.

......now there's an idea.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That's the problem with the edict to not travel to exercise in the great outdoors - those living in urban areas will all crowd to the smaller areas available to them.

I have one of the National Cycle routes about 15 minutes' walk from my house, which is often part of my daily walk. This week it has been heaving - cyclists, dogs, pushchairs, walkers. There's an argument that it would be better to encourage people to exercise more widely, by travelling a short distance from urban areas, to ensure less crowding.

I wonder if some of the people living in beautiful places are more than happy that outsiders aren't visiting, because they prefer it all to themselves? ;):p

needabreak and knitone like this.
  16. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

I'm still going to my allotment since that nice Mr Gove said we could. Wondering if soon that will be told to stop. But it's a real community there, lots of older people and everyone asking and checking on everybody else. Communal areas are all closed and it's dead easy to keep a big distance. Hope I can keep going.

bajan, chelsea2 and colpee like this.
  17. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Save all these ideas about creepy places and feeling spooked .... they'll be you stimulus for suspense stories when we finally get back to school and normality!

18. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

play equipment is dangerous when contminated, thats why. Open spaces without ply equipment is better

Jamvic likes this.
  19. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Part of my walk to school is through a park. I was in on Friday. Fine in the morning but I had to walk the long way round on the way home as it was full of people.

Jamvic likes this.
  20. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I was working in the front garden yesterday and it was very creepy, I agree. No sound, just the wind blowing. Felt a bit nuclear holocaust for a few minutes.

Love the writing stimulus idea

Mrsmumbles likes this.