1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

credit check

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jun 24, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

A friend f mine wants to rent a flat.along withthe normal deposit and months rent up front the want to do a credit check on her. For this they wanted to charge her £200. Is this normal to charge this much?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The most I've paid for a letting agent to take up references and check credit is £75.

3. Unfortunately it is normal. I prefer it when they are honest about "admin fees."

4. oldsomeman

But why £200 .it seems a huge sum of money for a simple task,

5. I'd offer to get them my own which costs £1 from the usual agencies and send them a copy. I do not believe it costs businesses much more to get a credit check on an individual either.
    'Course it's a rip off. All the money is going to the agent and not the reference agency, just like any other scam.

6. oldsomeman

Where would my friend get her credit check from for a £1 ? please.

7. Experian or Equifax. Be careful because they will try to sign you up for their expensive, pay monthly online service.
    I don't think this letting agency will accept it anyway to be honest. The whole point is they want to scam people out of £200 and if your friend won't pay someone else will. I'd try the back of the property section in a local paper and find a landlord who deals directly with the tenant.

8. oldsomeman

thanks.i did warn her off it....besides in the aresshe lives she canrent a 2 bedroom house for the price a moth they wanted for this 1 bedroomed flat....and she says it was a grotty same colour all the way htrouhg, i told her to move on and find someone different.