1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

credit card payments?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon8315, Jan 15, 2012.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hi, my car is due its MOT and I think it needs new tyres, and possibly a couple of other things.
    I have had to fork out quite a lot of money this month and can't really afford it. Obviously, I can't drive in a car that doesn't have its MOT so my dad has said he will pay on his credit card, and I'll give him the money back when I get paid.
    The only thing I am wondering is if the garage will accept payment over the phone from my dad or will the card have to be physically there if anyone knows?
    Thanks!

2. anon8315

Hi, my car is due its MOT and I think it needs new tyres, and possibly a couple of other things.
    I have had to fork out quite a lot of money this month and can't really afford it. Obviously, I can't drive in a car that doesn't have its MOT so my dad has said he will pay on his credit card, and I'll give him the money back when I get paid.
    The only thing I am wondering is if the garage will accept payment over the phone from my dad or will the card have to be physically there if anyone knows?
    Thanks!

3. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Your father should be able to pay over the phone.

4. anon8315

Thanks,nutella. [​IMG]

5. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Agree - no garage will turn away business for the sake of processing a card over the phone.[​IMG]

6. Ring them and check. They might have the facility to take cards over the phone disabled as fraud prevention.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Given that many garages will deliver a car and put the keys through the letterbox, I imagine they're used to taking payments over the phone!

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I recently bought a second hand car for my daughter and the garage would not take payment over the phone, but it was probably a sum of money greater than you would need for an MOT and tyres.