1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creativity in maths?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by juliateacher, May 25, 2007.

1. shetland-kat

shetland-kat New commenter

Andrew Jeffrey - what's your email?

Kat :)

2. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

up - this thread is great!

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Here's one you can try with upper juniors if you are doing capacity:

I am sick of the number of empty plastic water bottles left in my classroom. I also dislike taching capacity - it seems a bit dry. So I made it wet.

Get children outside into small groups with an empty 0.33l and a 0.5l bottle per group. Have a big bucket of water handy.

After discussing how many litres/ml capacity each one has, (third and half) tell them that the challenge is to bring you exactly 170ml of water. They may only get water from the bucket, and they may not throw/drink/estimate.

It's one of those 'tricky-but-very-easy-when-you-know-how' problems.

If they manage it, the extension is to restart but this time to produce exactly 160ml.

I found this led to a marked improvement in their understanding of capacity.

5. Look at the photo of my measures display on trinity - food colourig makes it much more interesting in bottles. www.trinityeducational.co.uk

6. Love the capacity problem solving. Please can we have lots more ideas like these - especially maths with no writing in involved!

7. Would it be possible to teach more maths through DT?

8. Andrew Jeffrey

Yes. Gears? Fractions? Distances? Mass? Symmetry? Probably more - got to go and post the daily notice and open the gates though!

9. myrtle

myrtle Occasional commenter

I'm being thick as I do get the capacity one - it sounds great!

What's the solution (ha ha pun) please?

10. Andrew Jeffrey

Myrtle, here's the first solution in 3 stages:

1. Fill the 500ml bottle.
    2. Pour from the larger bottle into the smaller until the smaller is full.
    3. There will now be exactly 170ml in the larger bottle. (As 500ml -330ml =170ml)

This really does seem to help children get a feeling for different capacities.

I will happily help with the second problem if you need...

11. Andrew Jeffrey

Barley - if you email info@andrewjeffrey.co.uk with an address I will gladly post you my flyer. Thanks for the interest!

12. AJ
    you have mail!

13. Andrew Jeffrey

Thanks, Barley. The flier will be posted tomorrow.

Thank you for being interested in the Magic of Maths!

14. I am a PGCE student currently on my first assessed placement and am (supposed to be, snow depending!) having my final grading observation on Mon. I have dyscalculia and so am teaching maths for my tutor to observe (he is a maths genius!). I'm teaching word problems about money, and have some good ideas, such as giving the children receipts with parts blanked which they have to work out etc, but wondered if anyone had any good, creative ideas they could share?

15. For creative mathematical thinking in relation to children learning 'written' maths), have a look at www.childrens-mathematics.net (several articles on children's creative mathematical thinking). Also lots of examples on this website from children in Foundation stage and Key stage 1 (goes right through to calculations with larger numbers - and all the children's own very creative 'written methods').

Also, see the Williams Maths Review - the report says they 'make specific recommendations regarding early mark-making as a precursor to abstract mathemaitcal symbolism'... The reports supports 'children's mathematical graphics' - which is what the website above is all about. [​IMG]

16. SFA

SFA

Great thread, i've got some super ideas already and I too would like a visit from mr Jeffery, i'll have to talk nicely to my maths co ordinator.

I'm trying to get my children doing a lot more talking and explaining in numeracy to help them understand key concepts, rather than just learning patterns. We do things like:

You say we pay (using key vocab as powerpoint one word at a time, one child stands at the front with back to board, rest of the class have to explain what is behind them with a one minute deadline) - thank you to Richard and Judy for this one!

Children use the screen video recorder on the laptops and the IWB software to explain how to do different methods/problems (we have in built microphones so the audio complements what they are doing on screen), this creates a video which we can then put on the net/use again in the plenary.

We used our class blog to get other teachers from all over the world to leave us 'real life' problems - we are going to use these as a basis for an agony aunt style podcast explaining how to solve them

Cdn get into role as our class proffessor character (think multi coloured wig, lab coat and German accent) and glamorous assistant, they explain different methods/problems and give examples using a flip chart. Cdn love doing this and we either film it using digi blues or do a live drama back to the class.

Creating class raps for number bonds/ tables we also did some x and / by 10/100 songs to nursery rhyme tunes- can be podcasted but not essential.

Maths aerobics is also a fun one - eg for chanting times tables or for silent 5 digit numbers where pin jumps = tens of thousands, star jumps thousands etc, lower down the body the lower the value, kung fu punch = decimal place. You say the number, they act it out, or get a child to act it out then they write the number.

Any more ideas anyone?

17. Ok, I know this is quite old but it is such an amazing thread I just thought I'd bump it up a bit!

18. CB123

CB123 New commenter

I have done a few maths weeks in my school.
    Last year the theme was 'pirates'. All the school, nursery to year 6 were involved. Each day a new taks was given to each class
    eg the ship needs ropes, flags beds etc and children had to design a symmetrical boat
    Combinations of flags
    Food - if 1 pirate needs 2 apples, 3 slices of bread etc how much do we need for 10 pirates
    We found some treasure, A ruby is worth £10, gold coins are worth £5 etc How much was the treasure worth
    Obviously all numbers were altered dependent on the age of the children
    Another year the week was 'Let's have a party' Each class was given a budget. They had to plan, prepare and fund a party, which they had on the last day. All the food eg pizza's were made by the children.
    Witnin each week we have also had a day's focus on a famous artist