1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative writing task for polar regions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jan 13, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I want to do a creative writing task with my year 2's, something similar to finding a key but Id like something I can link to my polar regions topic. Key is fab cos we could think of what. Type of door it might be, what the key looks like, where it takes us to etc. can anyone think of anything similar linked to my topic

2. rainbowdrop86

I want to do a creative writing task with my year 2's, something similar to finding a key but Id like something I can link to my polar regions topic. Key is fab cos we could think of what. Type of door it might be, what the key looks like, where it takes us to etc. can anyone think of anything similar linked to my topic

3. Thought you were doing Oliver Jeffers Lost and Found? Not a lost key but a lost penguin....!

4. rainbowdrop86

Thanks but I want something that will give them quite a bit of freedom. It's just for a big writing task, just as a one off.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

They come across a husky sledge and are taken on a journey of discovery?

6. Ah, I see. Previous suggestion sounds great. Or could you somehow link it to the northern lights, transported to a magical world (aka 2007 Magic Pebble SATS type thing)? Good opportunities for some descriptive writing.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about something like 'the fozen mammoth in the ice'?
    The children are on an expedition and they discover something large frozen in the ice? What is it? Lots of guess what it might be brainstorming ideas. Then can describe what they start to see as the ice slowly melts, colours/size/anything they notice etc.
    Then when the ice has released the mystery object have to describe it's appearance make guesses as to what it is (like the mammoth unfamiliar but has similarities with an elephant today).
    Leaves each child free to let tehir own imagination decide what they find and suggest their own ideas as to what it is /is used for if they discover something mechanical (frozen tools etc.)
    Any good?

8. rainbowdrop86

Perfect thank u!