1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative writing projects - helpful genres?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WhiteCoffee, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Hello, I'm a secondary school English teacher. I'm developing low-cost creative writing projects for Y5/6/7/8 pupils whereby they get the chance to co-write stories with leading children's authors. We're in the process of commissioning these authors to write stories for the project. THE QUESTION IS: Which story genres would be most attractive for teachers and pupils? Adventure stories? Other?..

Thank you.

2. Spugs21

Spugs21 New commenter

My children always love horror (ghost stories) and fantasy!

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

With my last class anything scary caught their attention. With my new class it seems they like more "real life" stuff.

4. Thanks, Spugs21! [​IMG]

5. That's interesting. What sort of authors write the 'real life' stuff that they like? Thanks for your comment. [​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

'Real life' stuff for mine as well. Several didn't like or weren't' allowed to read ghost/horror/etc for religious reasons.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is very popular as is Boy in the Girls' Bathroom. I would say they like the implied slapstick type humour.

7. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I'm not sure about their favourite authors at the mo as I don't know them that well but looking through their books a lot of the girls seem to be following in the style of Jacqueline Wilson and similar.