1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative writing for the most able

Discussion in 'English' started by paul_mc1, Jun 6, 2019.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

how do you inspire and challenge the very able with writing. I have one boy in particular, who is Y7, and he is, without doubt, the most able writer I have ever taught. He naturally writes thoughtful, imaginative and intellectually challenging pieces which are a pleasure to read. I was hoping to gain some ideas to keep that spark and flair that he has so he continues to enjoy writing and feels motivated and challenged by it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Get him to try different genres, different forms within both fiction and non-fiction, create different effects (tension, excitement, show how one character feels about another), write for different audiences, work on technical elements (esp. sentencing and punctuation), use images as stimulus, link to literature and write from different character perspective...

I found a cool resource on Tes ages ago - there was a writing prompt, then the students had to complete the task in about 100 words. Think it was called '100 word challenge'.

3. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

Textual transformations: give students a variety of articles, (a news piece or an opinion piece on Donald Trump, poverty or an article about relationships... whatever). Have able students transform these texts into a poem, or take the themes and turn them into their own story (or visa-versa; take the themes of a story and turn them into an article, having research some facts behind the story first). By providing multiple texts from different sources of different readability levels, all students can engage with this task but take the original material they feel most comfortable transforming. I once included an article about 'the best mac and cheese' and the poem that came out of that transformation was simply stunning.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Writing workshop model is great for budding writers. Lots of googleable resources.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  5. rachelsays

rachelsays New commenter

Get him reading more complex novels/poetry and then have him copy the style of these writers. I have a genius child in Year 8 at the moment and I got her reading Austen - I then asked her to write me a short story in the style of Austen, using early 19th century vocabulary. That was a real challenge for her, and she absolutely loved it. Novels in the form of poetry are all over the place at the moment and that can also be a real challenge for more able students - to write a story but in verse, thinking about the choice and placement of every word and sentence, thinking about its appearance on the page and how they can use structure to create meaning as well as language. Whenever you're setting a creative writing task, think about how you can add complexity for this child to get them really thinking about how and why they're using language to create effects - this is where the challenge is going to be for them. You can also research competitions for them to enter - my gifted writers love doing this, and I always put up their competition entries in the classroom or in the library so that other people can read them and they can feel like they've been published.

6. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter