1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative Writing Club - KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Elizab83, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a Creative Writing lunchtime club for KS1 and was wondering if anyone had done this before and had any tips or ideas of where to start/ what to avoid! I don't really want it to end up being 'lessons', more open and fun for them. Thought about maybe getting them to create a character first as a starting point and then going from there. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks!

2. Depending on what kind of genre they are writing, could you look at different examples to inspire/scaffold their own writing? Traditional tales might be a good starting point. They could then create a setting/world to place their character in, or create a setting together and team up to combine their characters in a story. You could do some oral story telling as well as writing.

I will be watching this thread with interest, would really like to do something like this next year :)

3. Could you use a film clip to inspire them? They could act some parts out and then write. Drama will really inspire them.
    British film group have some good ideas I think as part of training if you are setting up a film club at school.
    How about some Wii games e.g. Mario olympics to inspire some writing anout feelings of winning and losing/ competing/ team, work.
    Never been brave enough to teach KS1 so I hope these can be adapted to use!!

4. Thanks for your reply! I like the idea of getting them to team up, will definitely try to do that! I was thinking of focusing on story-writing, to begin with anyway.

5. I agree that drama is a good way to go. Art too. Get them to tell stories through role play. Maybe come up with a storyboard together. Use some of the talk for writing activities. If you pick the most fun ones they won't feel like 'work'.
    I once got lots of hats out and the children picked one and pretended to be a character who would wear that hat. We took a photo and they then used this to brainstorm descriptive words about the character.
    I'm currently working on an animation in which the children will make a collage for the settings, paint and cut out a stick puppet for the character and monster (we're doing myths but with pupils with SEN). We'll be practising lots of oral storytelling and role play building up to writing a story which will then be read as a voiceover whilst they move the puppets along the big settings pictures. We'll film this and then show them the finished product. This is maybe something you could do jointly, with one story for the whole group and get them to do different setting pics and different characters.