1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative writing after school club

Discussion in 'English' started by iheartpoetry, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hi folks,
    I'm a PGCE student and have been asked to start a creative writing club. I have a number of activities in mind but just wondered if anyone had any experience and wouldn't mind sharing some ideas? It will be a mixture of ages and abilities.
    I'd like to involve, poetry, fiction and playwriting and try to keep things fun.
    Many thanks

2. One thing I did with my club was made sure it was what the kids wanted to do- I got them to all write down what they wanted out of it and what they liked doing.
    I got them to do some editing on their work- they were loathe to do it, but I started them off on some of MY old work and they went quite happily into critiquing that!
    As things went on, I got them to collaborate with the drama club and to run mini workshops for one another- say if one really liked sci-fi, he'd do a little session on that, which I'd help him prepare.
    I also gave them information on competitions and support with the entries.
    I really miss them!