1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative ways with fractions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vagabond, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,

Just thinking about planning some work on fractions for my set. some are still working on identifying quarters, thirds etc of shapes, and some are at the level of putting fractions in order (2/18, 9/36, 4/15) etc. (mixed aged y3 - y5)

I'm just looking for a creative starting point really. I told the class this week that we would be moving on to fractions, and they all groaned!! I did an elicitation, and apart from my 2 really high flying Y5s i was amazed at the low level the year 5s were working at. some of this may have just been that they need reminding, but i wonder if it is partly due to their expereince of fractions lower down the school.

So if anyone has any creative ideas that have worked for them with fractions which they wouldn't mind sharing, i would be very grateful.

Many thanks

2. Hi everyone,

Just thinking about planning some work on fractions for my set. some are still working on identifying quarters, thirds etc of shapes, and some are at the level of putting fractions in order (2/18, 9/36, 4/15) etc. (mixed aged y3 - y5)

I'm just looking for a creative starting point really. I told the class this week that we would be moving on to fractions, and they all groaned!! I did an elicitation, and apart from my 2 really high flying Y5s i was amazed at the low level the year 5s were working at. some of this may have just been that they need reminding, but i wonder if it is partly due to their expereince of fractions lower down the school.

So if anyone has any creative ideas that have worked for them with fractions which they wouldn't mind sharing, i would be very grateful.

Many thanks

3. Fractions of packets of sweets for fractions of numbers? That might make the topic seem a bit more appealing? Fractions of anything foody (cake, pizza...) for fractions of a whole. I'm just starting this with mixed 3/4 too (with a strong top group - though they're not as strong on fractions as they are on place value). Understanding that fractions 'work' with parts of a whole and fractions of numbers does seem to be a bit of a sticking point. My most able ones appeared to be confident with 1/6, 1/8 etc last year - but seem to have gone back to only be confident with 1/2 and 1/4 (and then only in the context of 1/4 of a whole - unable to work out 1/4 of 28 by halving and halving again). Which rather messes up APP levels.
    We also have a video starring 'fraction man' that they enjoy.

4. Thank you for your ideas. The packets of sweets would work well - and would link well with the work we were doing last week (we had a "letter" from a sweet company - an activity adapted from Nrich) so I will definitely use that.

Since my post this morning we have had a phone call - so this will now be a lesson during our Ofsted!! So please feel free to share any more great ideas! Please!!!

I dont suppose the "fraction man " video is online?

5. Oh lucky you! We've got a visit impending - probably before Christmas - erk.
    What's your sweet company letter about - it sounds intriguing. I'm not creative enough any more - spend too much time faffing around with APP and curricular targets to get round to creativity, which is rather sad as that's what made me want to teach...
    Anyway - don't think the fraction man one is online as far as I know (can't even remember where it's from - I've left it in school), but www.learningclip.co.uk has 'triangle man' and a range of games linked to all the maths units. Some are better than others - definitely need to try them out, but my class really love listening to the madness of triangle man - even the very wriggly ones.

6. Do this on the whiteboard its brilliant..
    Level 5 is really good even for low levels, have a go.

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/maths/fractions/index.htm

7. i like the look of that - thanks, dc88

8. The sweet shop activity is on the Nrich website - sweets in a box. i showed them a letter that the HT had had from the company asking for help in designing a new sweets gift box. It worked really well.

9. I like that - shall definitely use it, thanks!

10. The children loved it. it took a few lessons to complete, as i initially only read them part of the "letter" then read them the rest of it on the second day. So initially they were just considering the shape of the boxes, then i introduced the idea of the colours afterwards.
    next time i might plan to link it in with 3d shape and nets of shape as they came up with some interesting ideas for boxes, but were discussing how easy it would be to make these boxes, and how some would be more robust than others.

11. There is a really useful video on Teachers TV that shows using cups to secure children's knowledge and understanding.
    Well worth watching

12. Is that on the website? do you know what it is called?

13. <address>That Coventry link is great! Really useful IWB activities on there. Are there any more activities on that website. I can't seem to get into it :(</address>

14. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

Thanks for that link to the Coventry website. Very useful.
    (But there shouldn't be apostrophes in 'its' unless short for 'it is' . So 'click on a bead to change it's colour' upsets me... anyone else care? no? Just me then.....)

15. louise_h27

louise_h27 New commenter

There is also a couple of good videos on Teachers TV (one for fractions and the other for equivalents) in a programme called Maths Mansion designed to show the kids. It puts things in a very simple way. I am doing equivalents tomorrow starting with cutting up and comparing cakes, followed by eating them, then the video ;).

Also for finding fractions of numbers we chant "divide by the bottom" (do karate division action and slap your bottom) "times by the top" (do karate times action the pat your head). Seems to make it stick.

Hope that helps :)

16. KS2 numeracy 'Just a Fraction'. just look on the Teachers TV site under primary maths

17. Give each pair a 0 - 9 die & coin. Spin the coin roll the die in turns. Heads - double the score in the die, tails - half it.
    First of the pair to go over 50 wins.
    Extend with 1/4 or x 4
    Revises mental addition too.
    I tried this with my Y5 class today - went down a treat!

18. Woodland junior school in Kent has a brilliant website with lots of fractions games. Make fractions as real as possible. I teach mixed yr 3 - yr 6 In my class we Big Boris the number giant and he helps out in many ways.
    For fractions we planned a party for his birthday, all hs monster friends ate a given fraction of the given number of slimy sausage rolls or cockroach cupcakes. ( eg 1/8 of 24 rolls etc) You can make this as easy or tricky as you need to. Kids love anything gross. Remember lessons can be entirely practical with play food, hoops and counters, cubes just take pictures that can be stuck into books and get the children to write a line or two to explain what they did.

19. <font size="2">I'm not sure that that i understand what "The packets of sweets" means and why it would work well. Please explain me. Maybe I can use it with my autistic students. </font> Thanks,
    Lucompass