1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative ways of using support staff

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by rightasrain, Jan 28, 2020.

1. rightasrain

rightasrain New commenter

Hi all,

We have found out tonight that we are potentially losing 4 support staff for the next academic year due to a deficit. I need to think of different ways of using TAs to help children that would usually have a 1:1. Has anyone got any ideas that would also ensure the children are included in the classrooms as much as possible? We have one child in particular who has an attachment disorder and is very fight/flighty.

Also, is there anyone who has experience of teachers doing interventions? Basically want to know as many ways to support children with SEND with limited use of support staff.

The sad consequences of school cuts :(

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think you need to have confidence that your staff are delivering a quality first curriculum so that most of your children are being accommodated ( and ‘progressing’ however you define this ) and their needs met by routine and regular inclusive teaching and learning strategies. They are your biggest and most expensive resource. Their input (and the outcomes you expect to see as a result ) is a priority.

I see no reason why teaching staff should not deliver intervention packages as long as they have training and are accountable for their delivery ( success criteria is key ) ....

Obviously you need to be ruthless in your timetabling and prioritise the students with complex needs. Crucially you need to rationalise through your policy documents.

Conversation me if you want to look at a QFT model - this is where in my opinion you need to start . I was Secondary but the process is the same ....