1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative way to teach ratios?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Teacher-in-Training42, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

Hi
    I'm teaching a group who find maths very difficult and over half of them have dyslexia /dyscalculia. They are able to however solve ratios with some support when the sum is given on its own and not in a word problem. However, when the numbers are in a word problem they get really confused. They are 16 year olds.

Does anyone know of a simple and FUN way to teach ratios? Any good resources available on TES or ones that anyone can suggest that I can create myself?

Thank you

2. Elfrune

Elfrune New commenter

Share in rati o o o o o o (and sing the JLS song) - I think drawing the circles to represent ratio's helps lower ability students.

3. Staffo

Staffo New commenter

Have you seen the "Mixing Paint" activity? You might be able to adapt it to meet you needs. Here's the nrich version.

4. Teacher-in-Training42

Yeah I have seen the circle method before. Thank you. Lol were you being serious about the jls song

5. Teacher-in-Training42

Yeah they are good questions on the site..were you thinking of actually giving them paint? I have playdough they could mix ?

6. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

7. Teacher-in-Training42

8. lunarita

9. Teacher-in-Training42

10. lunarita

If the activities which have been shared there by other teachers are not of any use to you, you might have to resort to coming up with your own.

You're welcome.

11. Teacher-in-Training42

are they shared on that link you sent or on TES?

Janetop likes this.
  12. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Hi, I'm a big fan of the PhET simulations and have written on them here. You'll see I have commented on the fact that teachers can register free with PhET. Each resource has a For Teachers section, for Proportion Playground mentioned in this thread - see Proportion Playground
    Once you have signed in you can have a look at the pdf, also the activities from teachers.