1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative Resources...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gems07, May 4, 2011.

1. I have an early years interview next Tuesday and have been asked to introduce the class to my favorite resource with a 10 minute intro and then let the children use it for another 10 minutes. This is for a whole reception class of 30. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas for resources?! x

2. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

30 children one resource, any other guidance???

3. Well this is my problem!! I only spoke to the school on the phone earlier and they said introduce your favorite resource and then let them use it - she said she is going to email me the details tomorrow so im hoping it wont be as simple as 30 children 1 resource because that is not going to be easy to manage!!

Just wanted to get a few ideas together - originally I thought digi-blues or flip cams but there is no way im going to be able to get my hands on 30 of them! I have an african drum I thought maybe I could use? but again, only one! xx

4. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

30 egg boxes
    30 plastic milk bottles
    free resources which can be turned into anything by the children...however I wouldn't have 30 children all doing at the same time....
    books ....you could pair the children up ,let them look at the books and have a feed back session where you ask them quastions or getthe other children to ask a child about the book they had looked at
    eg books about a topic so they are all finding out about something similar eg mini beasts ,pets etc

5. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

yes difficult to manage for even the most compentant person! Drum could work well though. suppose a more open ended resource like bubbles or scarves/ ribbons (I have about 50 of these cos these really are my fave resources) for dance, dressing up, getting into groups go with all the same colour, getting into order of size, make a line, make a circle, make a wiggly shape etc, throw it high. I have a nice song if you want it.

Get back to us with more info tomorrow

6. ah kind of like a junk modelling thing do u mean?

I once did a good PSHE lesson on things we are good at - we made what we called a skills tree - having done a circle time to establish things we are good at, we then went on to make the skills tree where we drew what we were doing on paper - labelling /writing about it depending and then hung it up on the tree for everyone to see.... this however, means the children are making the resource (skills tree) - does anyone think this would be a good idea or not?

Im sorry I am an NQT and a doubting myself alot!! x

7. Ah thank you - had a possible idea of making pictures out of ribbon/string maybe?

I deffo will get back to u with info tomorrow - thank you for ur help so far!! xx

8. ok guys here it is!

A short activity based on favorite teaching resource. Introduce resource to the whole class, and then lead a small, mixed-ability group in a related activity. How I go about the introduction and activity is up to me, but obv need to related to the EYFS. This is gna be discussed at interview.

xx

9. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

you could make your skills tree if you wanted.Start with a circle time (perhaps ask if they know the rules eg good sitting,good listening,turntaking etc)what I am good at etc passing an object round the circle as they speak and say what they are good at.You could say what you are good at and write it on your leaf ? hang it on your empty tree/twig. The group activity would then be the children writing their 'what they are good at ' on a leaf and hanging it on the tree....lots of discussion ,questioning ,encouragement...
    what is your favourite resource anyway??

10. Yeah It was a nice lesson but what would the resource be?? im not sure if they want me to actually teach the children how to actually use the resource or just make sure I have a particular resource in the lesson?? It doesn't specify - it does however say I will be asked to talk about it in the interview? xx