1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative Maths Lesson Books/Websites??

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by EamonnMac, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hello, I will be teaching year 8 maths come September and was wondering if anyone had any good books/websites that can help me devise creative/fun lessons?? I'm having trouble creating my own lesson ideas that are engaging and interactive, from scratch. I know there is no miracle answer for this but anything would be of use to me right now. I tried to find some on this forum but it seems like everyone wants to argue and bicker and i cant sift through all the nonsense to get at what i want. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Hello, I will be teaching year 8 maths come September and was wondering if anyone had any good books/websites that can help me devise creative/fun lessons?? I'm having trouble creating my own lesson ideas that are engaging and interactive, from scratch. I know there is no miracle answer for this but anything would be of use to me right now. I tried to find some on this forum but it seems like everyone wants to argue and bicker and i cant sift through all the nonsense to get at what i want. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

3. "I tried to find some on this forum but it seems like everyone wants to argue and bicker and I can't sift through all the nonsense to get at what I want". Well, there's a gracious invite for people to take to the time to respond(!) I would recommend you read up on Malcolm Swan's Improving Teaching & Learning in Mathematics (free on t'Internet) for inspiring approaches for maths activities and have a good read through Nrich for problem-solving inspiration. I also like Dan Meyer's dy/dan blog.

4. DM

DM New commenter

5. I included Bowland at first and then deleted.

6. I'll add the illuminations website by NCTM and the resources on NCETM (if you can find them).

7. DM

DM New commenter

I wonder why?
    [​IMG]

8. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Totally agree with Brookes on Malcolm Swan & Nrich. The pdf of Malcolm Swan document is on the NCETM site - I put a link on my reading page here.
    Look at the nrich Teachers menu - their mapping documents are useful.
    There are shorter Bowland tasks now as well as the originals, also see the Nuffield site and other resources here. (Was just trying to put things together).

9. DM

DM New commenter

Each new poster is offered a free avatar Eamonn. Would you like this one?
    [​IMG]

brookes, didn't you like the one I offered you?
    [​IMG]

10. I took the "babbling" as an insult!

11. DM

DM New commenter

No, it was a contrived link in the style of a regional TV news presenter handing over to the weathergirl.

12. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Beta MUST be on holiday !!!
    Bric

13. DM

DM New commenter

In readiness for Beta's imminent return.

[​IMG]

14. Didnt mean to sound arsey, just my first few attempts to find things under a suitable topic heading turned out to be long-winded conversations... nothing to do with the original topic subject.

I apologise as my frustrations got the better of me.

Thanks for the help.... like that Dan Meyer stuff... very inspiring, just hard to replicate

15. Yes i am a beggar and am unashamed! (Maybe a i should be?)

Anyway as i said before thanks for the help.... wasnt so much a complaint as an annoyance... which is probably the same thing but sure....

Cheers!!

16. Dan Meyer now works for...., ta da: Pearson Publishing. I like his use of video and I think his TED talk was fantastic. On the downside, some of his algebra presentations were as dull as ditch water.

To add to the list above, Prestige and Perks wrote some great books in the late 90s, I was handed a couple in my first job and learned a great deal from them.

17. Tandy

Tandy New commenter