1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative Lessons

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by aspiringgeographyteacher, Jun 9, 2016.

1. aspiringgeographyteacher

aspiringgeographyteacher New commenter

Hi All,

I am very interested in your opinion about what makes a creative and innovative lesson?

Have you an example? What resources did you use?

I'd especially like to hear from those who don't use a powerpoint/ computer!

Thank you

2. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

I teach English, and I get so bored of teaching the basic "bread and butter" lessons needed to pass the exams.

When it comes to the reading based exam questions, there really are few "creative" ways you can teach analysis. But with Writing, we have so many options. I've had my kids working on projects like creating a magazine, so that way they are practising the types of writing needed for their exam (article, review, letters etc.) without feeling like it's just exam question after exam question. They love it, they work in pairs and I get some really great stuff.

Teaching texts is always good for creativity too, because it lends itself so well to drama, but also I love teaching context by doing a "market place" activity where I find objects linked to the context and spend a lesson getting the kids to move around the room exploring the objects and figuring out how they many link to the text or what significance they may have.

For me, creativity doesn't have to be about being all singing, all dancing. It is about getting the kids engaged in a new way. They like talking, they like being out of their seats. If you can utilise that, you can be on to a winner.

3. amchugh

amchugh New commenter

Hi

The moment they enter the classroom is key. Have the students walk into a room full of things for them to collect, sort, analyse, etc. Make it competitive, artistic, etc if you like, but have them active immediately.

You can reach me at @guruteaching if you like

4. AngelEd22

AngelEd22 New commenter

Hi, I'm going to be a trainee English teacher in September and I am looking for creative ideas to use with my students. How does the market place activity work? For example, if I was teaching students about setting in Of Mice and Men, how could I apply this method?

5. Kiwilander

Kiwilander Occasional commenter

Hi, I try and put technology into almost everything I do now. I have a major focus on STEM stuff. The kids love it. It keeps them engaged and happy. For writing I have been using scenario presentations lately. These have worked well in hooking in the boys in my class to write.

Try these two links below., both Olympic themes and both worked in my class.

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...6-newspaper-writing-scandal-scenario-11317650
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/summer-olympics-scenario-writing-first-person-11315318

6. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

So for OMAM for example, I'd get some pictures of the Californian farm land, any stuff linked to the Great Depression (pictures, diaries etc.), poems from the time, just anything that contextually links with the book. Then I give them a set of guided questions about the objects/resources. They need to explore the objects in order to answer the questions, and it just helps them to "get" the context so much better than me simply telling them.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  7. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta New commenter

I can see a number of suggestions for lessons in English. I am a Physics teacher and would love to explore if similar things are available for Science teachers. Anybody there?