1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative Ks2 topic ideas.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minky4uk44, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hello Peeps.

Just a quick message to find out what creative topics you have done in Ks2 and how well they have worked. Need some inspiration for my new year 6 class!

Thanks

2. Hello Peeps.

Just a quick message to find out what creative topics you have done in Ks2 and how well they have worked. Need some inspiration for my new year 6 class!

Thanks

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

1960's, very arty and musical. WW2 is surprisingly creative too. lots of drama, art and music possibilities. DT was make do and mend.

4. Chocolate!
    I have done chocolate for last last 2 years. Lots of history, geography, art, DT, science not to mention English (including drama) and maths. So much opportunity on so many levels and the kids love it. [​IMG]

5. Chocolate!
    I have done chocolate for last last 2 years. Lots of history, geography, art, DT, science not to mention English (including drama) and maths. So much opportunity on so many levels and the kids love it. [​IMG]

6. Yes we did chocolate last time, We turned the school into ***** wonkas factory and i wore the outfit! I had the kids come to school one day as umpa lumpas! its was ace!

7. Hi - we developed a lot of our creative units from many of the QCA topics as starting points. We have a creative outcome each half term and keep these outside of the literacy and numeracy units, leading with other subjects but making meaningful cross curricular links where possible. I do one on the Ancient Greeks where we have a day learning how to dress like they did, making pottery, masks etc and tasting Greek food. I usually do a class assembly around this one too (early in the year so it's out of the way!).
    Then I do one around making slippers and we do a Dragon's Den. The children work with a partner to design and make a pair of slippers each but create a company do think about materials, branding, costs etc - I let them get stuck into the practical work in week 2 and link this to the ICT making presentations unit. They create a presentation to explain the technical side of their slippers (evaluation!) and present this together to the Dragons - usually the Head and support staff from school - they pretend to be buyers from different stores - it's really exciting!
    We do the controllable vehicles unit but the children work in teams of four and create names and logos for the cars with team names and use the branding on advertising etc. They bring in old t-shirts and draw their logo on there.We have races in the hall checking the cars work and then we hold a Grand Prix day where they compete in their teams - wearing their team t-shirts of course! The children set up spectators seating (school benches!) and put big banners with their team names all around the 'race track' (blutacked onto tables) The children measure and mark out the race track and then take turns timing each otherand recording the times on an excel spreadsheet. We create a cafe as well for the after race party - the children all bring something and we have a great time trying to get things on the menu that get past the healthy eating rules!
    I love the Britain SInce 1948 topic - we do this one near the end of the year and we have a history day for this. Children can dress up in the decade of their choice, do a party where we eat things like Angel Delight and prawn cocktails and have a fashion show.
    For the Summer Fair the class does an apprentice challenge in teams. We get an investment of £1 per child from the PTFA and the children work in groups to plan and run stalls at the Summer Fair. My class bring children from around school to try out their games ideas or paint their nails etc and practise their customer service skills on them - it's really sweet. They usually make around £300 for the school and the PTFA give me the original investment back as a class reward and I use the money to find the History party.
    Sorry this has become an essay! These things have worked really well and the children have a lot on input in them all the way through - I think that's a major part of why they work so well.