1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative/innovative maths problem solving ideas for year 5/6?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mattster78, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Need some WOW ideas that are creative and fun. Can anyone help?
    Thanks.

2. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Fun-fair themed games, e.g. hooking the ducks and making totals up to 100 or having a duck that does operations so they might have to multiply two 2-digit numbers together; hoopla etc.
    Countdown is always a favourite!
    Look up Smarties maths by Fran Bradshaw on the Hertfordshire website. An excellent document containing five hundred MILLION ideas about how to teach maths with Smarties. Sorry if you've already heard of it or used it but it really is good!

3. I have been looking everywhere for the Smarties maths ideas! I can't find it on the Hertfordshire website though, do you have a link to it by any chance?

4. I can't find it either! Sounds fab too!

5. I would suggest finding something which will be good for the children from somewhere like the nrich website, KS 2 challenged for the more able document of problem solving box, and making it wowy by relating it to what you are doing or resourcing.

For example, We are doing a corss curricular unit on superheroes, so I took the objective we had for the 2 weeks, which was to work systematically, and found puzzles/problems which would hit this objective, and related them to superheroes. (Planning can be found on resources, but should work the same for any topic).
    I have found that puzzles etc have been a great way of keeping them going after SATs and loads of learning by stealth!

6. Can't find it, where is it?!
    Thanks for the tips people.

7. I found a great website, perfect for maths- www.funtosave.co.uk Its specially for children to improve their maths skills whilst learning about money and saving. It has games with 3 levels for different age groups. Hope this helps!