1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative iMedia - Animated Writing on the wall

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by uselessnerdII, Nov 8, 2018.

1. uselessnerdII

uselessnerdII New commenter

https://www.ocr.org.uk/administrati...onals-creative-imedia-new-assignments-091018/

So the tinkering with this course begins. Is it going to go the way of the Cambridge Nationals. As a course with 75% cw content it is probably surprising it exists at all. Shame, as despite the clunky set up and the excessive documentation, it does actually contain a few items that are interesting and, dare I say it, fun to teach. My question is, can they change the course once it has begun???

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

The reason that coursework is now frowned upon is simple. Schools cheat on the coursework.

I thought all coursework based courses had to be changed.

3. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

They are not changing the course only the assignments. The course stays the same as it cannot be changed. I suspect we will have new scenarios that is all to give it a bit of a refresh.
    Personally I like the course it does have a lot of research and planning but the fact that it also produces a product allows the pupils to build a set of skills.
    Like anything it will be open to abuse but I think that is more a comment on the state of teaching and the pressures for not being sacked or getting a performance pay rise rather than the course!

4. dalersmith

dalersmith New commenter

I actually do like some of the iMedia course, my only issue is that each unit is almost identical, other than LO3, build something. By the time students start the second unit they are bored of finding out why we do something, they just want to learn how to do it. I would rather my students learned how to build something, and build it well, than have them looking at the business case and reasoning behind why we do it, over and over again. Is that really what industry asked for?

5. tonyuk

LO1 is not what industry looks for but LO2 certainly is. How do pupils know what makes a good comic/website etc unless they research what a good one looks like - once in industry they would learn on the job but I think this gives them a good grounding and understanding.

6. dalersmith

dalersmith New commenter

In which case make drop LO1 and concentrate on the research good products and why they are good, planning, building and evaluation

7. tonyuk

To be honest that was what the old IMedia was more like but I suspect the powers that be wanted some research in there and thus we have what we have - though LO1 is what makes a product good certainly my higher ability can evaluate critically what makes a good website and its components.