1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative ideas sharing a story Nursery/ Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lissi381, May 19, 2011.

1. lissi381

lissi381 New commenter

oow, ok, thanks everyone for your ideas and opinions, I will definetely take them on board. However, having read some of your comments, it does concern me that some people have very fixed ideas with what should or should not be done with stories. I believe, especially now as most schools are moving towards a creative curriculum, that we should be much more open minded and take risks with what we do. I certainly do not believe that the best thing we can do with a story is "tell it well" and as an author I would be rather disappointed with that comment. If i was an author, I would be flattered that someone had found in my book, the opportunity to teach something completely unrelated.
    I do agree that they are looking at how the practitioner interacts with the children, but lets not be naive, they are also looking for a wow factor, hence me not wanting to do the run of the mill puppets and hot seating.
    I do value peoples opinions and I think I have an idea now, if it works I will be happy to share it with others.

thanks again.

2. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

All the best with your interview, I may be about to hijack your post and whilst I do have opinions on what others have voices they are not particularly passionate either way and believe all to have merit.
    My role is mainly advisory and most days I witness a couple of "story times/ group times" which nine times out of ten will be adult with a pile of books that they "read" word for word with not much tone. Occasionally I will see "telling" of the story again word for word but with pauses, anticipation and passion. Rarely I will see this with additional participation from children e.g. appropriate questioning, pretence and prediction etc. Never have I seen a "story" not a book told with or without props and that shocks me, to be honest I could count on one hand the amount of times I have seen props used in conjuntion with a story and on one finger used well. All too often stories are used as killing time when actually in all it's forms, undertaken with passion, enthusiasm, thought and consideration of the children it is the most wonderful time to engage with children. In my opinion this needs to be done drawing on the strengths of the person who is leading the session, and hopefully that would include the story being "told well" because without that it's lip service or babysitting.
    Do let us know what you do and how it goes always nice to hear other peoples perspectives and successes.

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Just to put forward an opposite view .......
    I have seen some fantastic storytellers - they were in a free slot for children at the museum in Canterbury. They were unbelievably fantastic at delivering the stories they told, and with props, and with involving the children. But I presume the number of stories they could deliver to this standard were limited - it was a professional performance that I would not expect from a primary school teacher. And if you had given these people a class of children for a year, I don't know how much they would have learned during the year other than a few good stories.
    So I guess I'm saying that you might not be great at telling stories, but you could still be a fab teacher, and vice versa.
    My children have just had interview lessons for several teachers done to them in one day. They compared notes afterwards as to which teacher they liked best!! It does sound as though the demo lessons were like "performances" ...... I have reservations about this. I thought these days the focus was on the children's learning rather than the adult's "performance".

4. Hi,
    Firstly good luck with your interview.
    I taught EY for many years. Children love stories - new and traditional. They particularly in my experience enjoy stories they know well. I always found props a great asset and it can bring out so much more language - you can ask the children why that particular prop was used and all manner of other questions to set the imaginations going. You could bring music into it and ask the children to suggest appropriate instruments. Discussions could follow about if they know of a similar story or they could relate their own experiences to it. Children love the 'What if..' type question - again develops their imagination. It's also an opportunity to develop their emotional literacy.
    I could go on but hopefully I have given you some ideas.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry what do you mean moving towards a creative curriculum?

6. I think you should look for a good original book, something different to 'We're going on a bear hunt' or 'Whatever Next'. Try and find something that will really spark their imagination. Ask questions before you begin to read and throughout, encourage a little participation at the end of the story. Be yourself! Good Luck

7. Msz

Why not?
    I've sat on a number of interview panels and been the person observing interview activities and I agree. A colleague describes it as high energy ... low imact

8. mystery10

Oh I didn't mean a primary school teacher couldn't give a professional performance ........ I meant that they were unlikely to be able to give a truly captivating performance in the way that a trained performer can ...... and that this shouldn't really be necessary to be an inspiring teacher.

9. Msz

If you look on the storyteller network you would be surprised how many storytellers were formally teachers (similarly look at how many comedians, actors and other performers started out teaching)

10. I once read The Rainbow Fish and followed up by giving each child a shniy sticker but asking them to find someone else to stick it on and ensuring no child is left without- reflecting on the message of the story.I then 'swam' a fish puppet around to check and gave positive feedback to the class about good sharing, good friends, kindness etc. Went down well for that interview.
    Good luck.

11. Msz

But there is absolutely no risk in your suggestions. I have black and white issues (I inherited ) copies of Child Ed with the VHC idea... and it's not good science anyway - much better books to use if you want to do life cycles. It isn't creative! It's hackneyed!
    As an interviewer if I asked candidates to "share a story" it would be to see if they can use story effectively to engage children, to develop language/vocabulary and encourage speaking and listening ... because it is a talent (but one that can be learnt).

12. mystery10

Apologies to the OP for having digressed, but do you think a school could select a candidate who wasn't great at storytelling, but had everything else, and train them a bit more in art of storytelling? Or do you think that the two things go hand in hand - that the successful primary teacher will have inbuilt within them the natural streak for storytelling?

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Storytelling and teraching are both about communicating ideas with enthusiasm, I would expect them to go hand in hand. When I trained we were expected to have a large repertoire of stories with or without books and work on our storytelling skills.

14. Msz

I remember having to record myself telling a story and then it being picked apart to improve technique during my teacher training and like InkyP we were expected to be able to tell stories on any subject without a book.
    We have a professional storyteller delivering one of our inset days in the autumn because we see it as an important if not vital teaching tool.

15. congratulations - are you going to tell us how the story went?

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

In an interview? come on, myst. You must have been interviewed from time to time. Interviews are about peformance.

17. andy1965

andy1965 New commenter

Don't you just hate that! I read through all the posts, got a happy ending but no epilogue to tie the ends together! I have a similar interview task on Tuesday and have chosen a book slated as a bad choice in this thread, wish me luck!

18. andy1965

andy1965 New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Well I shall finish off my story anyway.....I got the job; I am a real
    teacher now...my own Reception class in September!

I used We're Going on a Bear Hunt against forum advice! I got the children
    to do a call and response with the chorus and they did me proud. I then asked
    them to talk to each other to remember what the obstacles were, again they were
    brill and even better, when asked to discuss and come up with some alternative
    obstacles they did (the one bit I was worried about and had pre-planned alternatives
    ready). They also came up with alternative descriptions of going through new
    obstacle we chose, a castle and we performed the chorus and new 'verse'. Job
    done!

Apolologies for wittering on, on a thread no one will probably ever read but
    I am quite pleased with myself!

19. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Congratulations lissi and andy on getting the jobs. Welcome to Early Years.[​IMG]

20. andy1965

andy1965 New commenter

Thanks. I love the Early Years, I don't think there are many occasions where you can actually have fun at an interview, but I loved doing my teaching input yesterday, and it would have made for a pretty good day even if I hadn't got the job!