1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative ideas for word problems

Discussion in 'Primary' started by abbir, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I've just started my second year as a teacher, covering maternity leave at a brilliant school which is really creative and has high standards. I'm starting to plan for word problems with my year 3 class next week, but I feel like my lessons haven't been creative enough and for some reason my imagination is completely stymied! I would really appreciate any ideas, particularly as my class have quite short attention spans and I feel that they need short, sharp tasks with less carpet time.
    Thanks everybody!

2. Hi,
    I've just started my second year as a teacher, covering maternity leave at a brilliant school which is really creative and has high standards. I'm starting to plan for word problems with my year 3 class next week, but I feel like my lessons haven't been creative enough and for some reason my imagination is completely stymied! I would really appreciate any ideas, particularly as my class have quite short attention spans and I feel that they need short, sharp tasks with less carpet time.
    Thanks everybody!

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

You could try creating/adapting problems so they link to your topic, class story, class puppet etc. If the context is meaningful the children will engage with it.
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. Thanks Carrie, I'll try that. Thanks for your ideas everybody, I really appreciate it.

Abbi