1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative ideas for minibeasts

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pinkpebble, Apr 27, 2008.

1. we did paper mache minibeasts last year. they looked really nice and so effective. had them dangling down from the ceiling in our minibeast role play area.

2. thanks jatti - that will be a great idea for different minibeasts.

3. i know, its a bit hard to do it with a grasshopper.

4. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

Jatti, what did you have in your minibeast role-play? We've drifted into a minibeast topic in the last week or so. Some children have used the open-ended role-play to make wasps nests, but I'd be interested to know what you have in a role-play with minibeast focus?
    Pinkpebble, we listened to the sounds that grasshoppers and crickets made (on a CD rom, we don't have any grasshoppers in our outdoor areas!) then made minibeast musical instruments with the junk modelling materials. The children chose which materials and investigated if they made similar sounds to a grasshopper or not when they had finished. Another idea that cropped up was making PVA glue webs. We turned this into an adult-led activity because the children discovered themselves that it dries looking like a web, but got frustrated when it didn't turn out right when they had a go themselves.

5. Thank you I love the idea of the instruments.
    In our role play we have got a wormery, ant farm, magnifying glasses, identification chart, non-fiction books, digi blu to record facts they have learnt about minibeasts. Thought maybe adding some mini-beast costumes.

6. hi,
    in our minibeast role play area, we had:
    lots of green material and crepe paper hanging from the ceiling,
    paper mache minibeasts hanging from the ceiling and some on the floor,
    egg box spiders and lots of webs,
    3d tree trunks with minibeasts (that the children had made)crawling up,
    green material and shredded green paper on the floor to resemble grass (yes this is quite messy),
    a small tunnel for the children to crawl through (from our outdoor playground),
    minibeast masks (i'm sure there are some on **********),
    also some sets of wings and other minibeast costumes for children to dress up in,
    minibeast books- both fiction and non fiction,
    binoculars and magnifying glasses,
    minibeast fact sheets and recording sheets for the children to fill out in the role play area,
    sorting trays with minibeasts in,
    a tank with real minibeasts in (children would usually find them from outside and we would usually put them into the tank for the day then release them at the end of the day, but be careful which minibeasts you put together!)
    lots of plastic minibeasts,
    minibeast number and alphabet displayed around the role play area,
    real plants on the side.
    gosh, we had more but mind has gone blank now. hope that helps though.

7. Hi jatti,

Could i ask you what you hope the children will get out of your mini beast role play area??

I hope you don't mind me asking you? I will be asked this in an interview.

Thanks

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

re post 6:

I wasn't sure which way to go with our minibeast role play area. I was torn between turning it into a woodland where they could hunt for minibeasts or a scientists' minibeast lab (both interesting ideas that I'd picked up from other threads and from the photos on **********'s website).

Last week I gave children both possibilities and asked what they thought. One of the children said that we could take down the curtains from the window (we have sort of fold-out walls to make part of our role play area), camouflage it and turn it into a hide.

They want binoculars and cameras for the scientists in the hide, who are looking through the window, observing minibeasts. They also wanted clipboards to record what they see.

9. we were following the children's interest as we found that alot of them were interested in the minibeasts outside. so the role play area helped the children to investigate and explore:

where we would find minibeasts eg. under pots/in the soil/on the plants etc (this is why we had the tunnel, pots and 'grass' in the role play area)

what they would eat eg. plants/other insects (hence why we had plants and other plastic minibeasts)

how the minibeasts move eg. fly, slither, crawl (this is why we had the masks and costumes)

sorting trays and minibeast cards were there so that children could sort and classify as to whether the minibeast had legs/wings/antennae etc

binoculars and magnifying glasses so that the children could closely examine the minibeasts outside

all of this was to further develop their interest and knowledge of minibeasts (which it most definitely did)

we regularly took photos of minibeasts that the children had found outside and displayed them in the role play area. again this was really exciting and interesting for them to see as the children were then able to tell us about the photo and where they found the minibeast.

hope that makes sense
    :)