1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative ideas for linking 'Born survivors' theme for spring term

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roxy7, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Hi all!
    We're doing the theme on born survivors and looking at Bear Gryll's adventures! We'll be focussing on his various tripd to cold and warm places. I've got hold of videoa that show this on you tube but am struggling for practical ideas to start the topic.
    We'll be looking at his biography and other biographies so chn can understand the way they are written. This is for literacy which will eventually lead to making our own biographies.
    I was thinking about some role play where he goes to the desert/ cold water survival and allow chn to make their own survival kits, don't know how i'll manage with resources there!

Any one out there with some wow ideas, please help!!
    Thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You might like to compare 'Bear' with Ray Mears.
    Difficult to do this outside at this time of year I know , but we've had people in on a Theme day. They asked children to build shelters out of what they could find around the field (limited number of items; branches.canvas tarps etc so children had to 'combine forces' & then shown how to build a fire and cook something simple (H & S issues & will depend on ages of children), but could collect berries, cut up fruit/ veg for soup to share etc.What's really important is to 'clean up' after themselves, so no-one knows they've been there.

3. Thanks for that idea. Outdoor learning is one of my targets so will try and implement this idea although the school doesn't have many resources for such activities and the weather might be too cold considering its stright after the christmas break.
    Any other suggestions?

4. Mat77

Mat77 New commenter

Hi Roxy,

I too am planning on trying to do a born survivors topic with my Y5 Spring 2. Have a few ideas similar to yours - looking at different climates, plants and animals found there that you might (in theory) be able to survive on. I'm also thinking of linking in a bit of history - surviving in Victorian britain (hoping this take on it will liven up a normally dull topic) and also surviving in space - going to learn about the different planets so that we can decide what equipment (fictional) we would need to have to survive there (eg a heat proof suit that can withstand temperatures over 100deg C).
    If you have had any more brainwaves, please do let me know. Am going to try and get weekly outlines sorted out tomorrow and am more than happy to share any stuff with you (if any use). Our literacy will be traditional myths and legends, if you've any brainwaves on suitable stories to link in with topic, please let me know!