1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative ideas 'Circuits and conductors'

Discussion in 'Primary' started by butterfly16, Jul 27, 2010.

1. I am in Year 4 in September and want to do a topic around circuits and conductors. I'm going to do about extreme weather as well. Has anyone got any ideas for a story or starting activity to make it more interesting and give the topic more depth? Any help would be great!

2. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/UFOBall.cfm

Sorry for the american link, I can't rememer what the english equivalent is called. I bought mine from a local toy shop but I've also seen them in Hawkins Bazaar and other gadget shops.

It's basically a ping pong ball that has two metal strips on it. When both are touched the ball lights up and makes a sound.
    You can get your class to sit in a circle, hold hands and make a circuit. Experiment by getting them 2 of them to break the circuit. Or add in some material to the circuit somewhere to test conductors etc.
    The kids in my y4 class loved it.

3. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

I've just remembered that it is called a 'cosmic ball.'

4. When and where did you get the cosmic ball as I can't find one anywhere apart from the US and the shipping is too expensive!