1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative I-Media - R084 - Comic Strip

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Charliesep21, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Charliesep21

Charliesep21 New commenter

I was wondering if somebody would be able to give a bit of advice about the Unit above? I am in the process of planning the course however I am undecided as to which software to create the comic strips on. What packages/software do other people use for RO84? I want to use 'storyboardthat' however I feel that it would be giving them too much guidance (templates/set designs) which could lead to a lower mark.

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

I'm not familiar with this course or unit at all (I've heard of it, but nothing more). However, I do know that Comic Life is excellent for creating comic strips. No idea of it's too guided for this unit, though.

3. Charliesep21

Charliesep21 New commenter

Thanks for this, I have looked into Comic Life however I am going to get students to take the images and then make them cartoon like using Photoshop

4. casdfasdfaasf

casdfasdfaasf New commenter

Comic life is fine for this unit. Students must reference the images they use as they are not primary assets. Another option is to use comic life to print off a basic panel placement which can be drawn on. We then scan these in and edit via Photoshop.

5. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Comic life is fine. You could take pictures of characters and add these, create in a graphics package, or as previous commentator said print and draw.

6. MrTCompSci

MrTCompSci New commenter

Were planning to use Pixton this year, I've just started looking at planning for the unit.I went to one of the OCR training sessions about the course and the one point I took away form it is fro a high band answer, it must have a good story/plot, not just a series of images/text boxes.

7. lois1966

lois1966 New commenter

I've done R084 for three years and I used Pixton with my students. It has some interesting panel placement suggestions and I got the students to create own back grounds and/or characters in Photoshop to then add in as original assets. The storyline/plot is very important and I found that my students that got D* in this unit had extremely through research and planning and review/evaluation as well as a strong plot.

8. clairewoodirl

clairewoodirl New commenter

Joining this forum very late but am just using Pixton now...very rushed and using basic version. This means we are limited in terms of asset creation. Will assets within Pixton still count for marks as they haven't been user created but have been modified within Pixton?