1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative development, child initiated

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Florence86, Jul 19, 2011.

1. I am thinking ahead a little bit and am currently trying to organise child initated activities for indoors and outdoors. The weak link in the foundation stage unit is Creative Development. So I'm looking at ways to improve this area of learning for children and to encourage movement, dance and music.
    There is the option of having a musical instruments, however I am told that in the past this has always needed to be adult focused as the instruments have been damaged on a number of occasions.
    I would really appreaciate any ideas that you tried and really liked or ones that have impressed Ofsted.
    Thank you [​IMG]

2. I am thinking ahead a little bit and am currently trying to organise child initated activities for indoors and outdoors. The weak link in the foundation stage unit is Creative Development. So I'm looking at ways to improve this area of learning for children and to encourage movement, dance and music.
    There is the option of having a musical instruments, however I am told that in the past this has always needed to be adult focused as the instruments have been damaged on a number of occasions.
    I would really appreaciate any ideas that you tried and really liked or ones that have impressed Ofsted.
    Thank you [​IMG]

3. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

We have a 'Stomp' set that I think came from Tesco's vouchers which is basically a metal dustbin with a variety of pots, saucepans, lids and wooden spoons etc. We have this oiutside, you need a large area as is very noisy!. We have a small pop up tent inside which is limited to 3 people and we just have a basket with about 6 instruments left inside the tent to be chosen from and then supposedly change these every week or so ( however I think this gets fogotten a bit) The tent contains the noise a bit indoors, and a limited number of instruments to put back in the basket when finished with, helps them to take more care of them.. Having said all this our creative development is low, I think it has more to do with the wording of Dev. Matters than the children being so weak.Also previous groups have chosen to use the music tent far more than this lot.

4. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

We introduced our musical instruments very slowly, one at a time and talked about how to look after each one at carpet time - we do this with everything new, especially things that are likely to be damaged if we don't. This means it takes several weeks to introduce new resources but it is worth the time and input. Like anything else, children playing with the instruments are sometimes supported by an adult, in reminding them how to look after them and obviously modelling, scaffolding etc. We only have instruments outside as well - I have tried to have them inside a few times, but found the noise too much. This year, we had huge, fixed drums and chimes put in the outdoor area which have given more opportunities for the children to use music and sound related language.
    I find that the children use our 'natural materials' as percussion instruments - the log slices and sticks as drums and the logs that fit in their hands as claves.
    Another time music has popped up this year is when I put rice, lentils and dried peas in the Creative Area. They were intended for collage, but the children put them in plastic cups and made shakers with them. This led to them making other instruments out of junk materials. I kept these on display and they regularly played them and added new ones they had made. This was more bearable inside as they were a lot quieter.

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have a set of old pans hanging up for outdoor music. It works really well.

6. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

Us too - although I just misread yours as 'old prams'. That would be interesting! Need to find glasses.

7. Your ideas sound fab! Thank you