1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative Curriculum Topic Titles

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cazzarazza, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    My head is asking us to rethink our curriculum esp in Key Satge 2.I agree with this and am looking at my topic titles which I think need revamping too. Has anyone any ideas on what to rename Victorians, Romans,Rainforests,Spain and Asia-although I have lots of thoughts on how to teach these more creatively I don't think the titles are really inspiring-any ideas,anyone?
    Thanks in advance,Cazza

2. Hi All,
    My head is asking us to rethink our curriculum esp in Key Satge 2.I agree with this and am looking at my topic titles which I think need revamping too. Has anyone any ideas on what to rename Victorians, Romans,Rainforests,Spain and Asia-although I have lots of thoughts on how to teach these more creatively I don't think the titles are really inspiring-any ideas,anyone?
    Thanks in advance,Cazza

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Vile Victorians, Revolting Romans, Rainy rainforests, Special Spain, amazing Asia? (I got bored towards the end)
    However please tell me the main focus of your 'creative curriculum' will be getting children to be creative, not teaching the same stuff, in the same way, under a more exciting title. To be frank if yout ell the children in an exciting tone of voice, with some props and excitement that they are going to be learning all about the Romans, they won't think that the title isn't inspiring.

4. Thanks for that-Yes-i want the children to be more creative and inspired and I think you are right about the exciting start which is what I do(well try to!!) anyway...just thought the titles should need to reflect that...thanks for being a sounding boardx
    Thanks,Cazzax

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Victorians - We are not amused
    Romans - The Empire Strikes (back)
    Rainforests - I'm a pupil - get me out of here!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You could try looking at 'Famous Inventions'of the Victorians', 'What the Romans left us', Why Rainforests are important', What is Spain & Spaniards really like?' & 'How different is Asia to the Uk? type questioning.
    I think the key is to look at specific questions for the focus of your outcomes.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But these massively narrow the topics. They would be good for a week's heading maybe, but not for a whole topic.

8. We called our victorian topic - Empire Builders. Lasted a whole term

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

i was only suggesting those as examples of the type of questions one might ask. Usually in the schools I've been in, the children brainstorm questions coming up themselves with some questions to find which they want to find the answers. then they take a week or so to study the chosen questions-depending on the complexity of the question.

10. Previous poster is right in that the name of the topic should not narrow it down but to be honest it is a small part of the whole process.
    Starting with a key question will help provide direction and purpose to the topic.

11. To be honest, I think some of your topics could do with being re-thought a bit or you'll just end up doing the same stuff with a different name. For a rainforest type topic, our school does Eco-Warriors, which can go in several directions. Mind you, I find the children get really involved if the topic interests them - they don't really care what it's called! Good luck.