1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

creative curriculum...how many topics?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by schlairtay, Aug 2, 2009.

1. schlairtay

schlairtay New commenter

hi, our school is moving to a more creative curiculum in sept but i am getting all confused... just wondered how many topics do people usually have in one year? would you do 3 - therefore one for each term or 6, one for every half term?? i have a year 1 class, thanks

2. schlairtay

schlairtay New commenter

hi, our school is moving to a more creative curiculum in sept but i am getting all confused... just wondered how many topics do people usually have in one year? would you do 3 - therefore one for each term or 6, one for every half term?? i have a year 1 class, thanks

3. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Hi

I have year 1/2 and i do 3 topics a year - 1 each term. however i usually have a different focus for each half term - for example in my 'fire and ice' topic i focussed on the ice in the first half term and fire in the second.

hope this helps!

4. schlairtay

schlairtay New commenter

oooo yes it does thanks, especially as i was thinking of starting with fire, i may pinch your idea to link it with ice...thanks!

5. JT77

JT77 New commenter

I was getting confused with this too. I'm an NQT and will have a Y1/2 class in Sept. If you don't mind me asking Ballerina, what are your other topics?

6. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

last year i also did
    'its a wonderful world' - first half focussed on comparing london (where i teach) and china, but also looked at other places around the world, second half looked at animals around the world
    'one small step for man' - first half looked at space travel etc, second half looked at neil armstrong and the moon
    this year i'm going to do something linked to food; not really sure what to call it or what it will include yet; perhaps something about baking bread in the first half and linking it to the great fire of london, then in the second half looking at food around the world and linking it to christmas food/celebrations around the world - it depends where the class want to take it really, they decide what they want to learn about!!

7. Hello- sorry to be cheeky- typed in Fire and Ice as we are doing it this coming term and needed some helo with planning. I don't suppose you might be able to email me your plans for this topic? No worries if not. My email is stantonanna@hotmail.com

Thank you
    Anna

8. Ballerina - how do you make sure you don't overlap with other teachers/year groups? Or how do you ensure there is progression wihtin the school?