1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

creative curriculum - how do you organise your timetable?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by merlymoo, Jul 13, 2011.

1. We are well on our way to starting a creative curriculum in September and have signed up to the Creative Learning Journey - (even tho teachers didnt want to!!) I've grasped the idea of teaching skills rather than content but am totally at a loss to how my Y 3 - 4 class should run. If we keep slots for topic, science, art etc then its not going to be very creative and will be much the same as it is now. Another member of staff is going on about having Literacy, art and science all going on at once (Y 5 - 6) I cant see how this will work in practice and wondered if anyone is doing the creative curriculum PROPERLY rather than just dabbling and if so if they could enlighten me.
    Many thanks

2. We have worked this way for one year, so are quite new to it. This is how we work:
    Maths is usually discrete, although fits in when it can. RE is usually discrete, although it fits in when it can. We usually have the usual maths slots in the morning. The rest are all seen as different aspects of the theme.
    The literacy is usually also the geog or history (a theme tends to focus on one or the other) and so is the ICT, so that usually happens in the morning. We then have afternoon work all linked to theme. This is usually a art or DT or music focus etc. Quite often though we block it and do a whole day bringing in different elements from different subjects.
    Quite often the art is also the literacy or history, so it might take place in a traditional literacy morning slot.
    We tend to plan for the week by seeing what our main focus is, fit that in and then fitting in the other things around it. Things like maths setting, PE slots tend to stay the same, but we do move the rest about. The good thing is when it is really cross curricular, you free up slots in the week, giving you more time and enabling you to spend whole mornings/afternoons really focussing on something, rather than having to chop quickly into different lessons.
    I love the Mantle of the Expert enquiry based approach for some themes which allows for a natural flow of different subjects together. When teaching in this way we hand much more of the control over to the children and just tweak if necessary to ensure key skill are being covered. They usually are with this type of approach though and it gives a 'real life' context to their learning. Plays havoc with structured ideas of differentiation though!
    This is how we go about it, but I am sure there are lots of different approaches.

3. Thanks for your reply. Which year group are you and what topics do you teach?
    In your "flexi" slots are all the children doing the same activity i.e. everyone doing art or do different groups do different activities?
    How easy was it to adapt to this new way of doing things?
    Most importantly has it made any difference to the childrens level of enthusiasm for learning?

4. I am in Year 2 and this year we have taught:
    Heroes and Superheroes (modern and past heroes) History lead
    Weird Wacky and Wonderful (Hundertwasser and other artists) literacy/art lead (through Mantle of the Expert approach)
    Island Detectives - geography/science lead
    Get Set for 2012
    Space Quest - history lead
    Wonderful............. history lead then geog lead (focus on our local area through Mantle of the Expert approach)
    I come from early years so have never taught any other way, but other teachers in KS1 say they have noticed how much more the children enjoy the joined up approach.
    I have put the lead subject in as we always start from this point and plan outwards from there. This works best. We also have some kind of product for each theme which gives it a good focus.

5. Anyone else with advice of how to "manage" this?