1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative Curriculum - Ambitious yes, time no...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by essjay2001, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I have recently been given the role of Curriculum Coordinator in my Primary school and having rearranged and rewritten a creative curriculum one of the main issues staff are coming back to me with is the lack of time we have to do everything.
    Currently our Essentials in KS2 are 1 hour lit, 1/2 hour guided reading, 1 hour num 4 days p/w.
    1 hour Creative writing, 1 hour mental maths/problem solving, 2 hours science, 2 hours PE, 1 hour RE, 1 hour PSCHE, 30 mins French, 1 hour ICT. (I'm sure I've missed some things there...). Curriculum and topic tends to fit into the spaces.
    Our numeracy and literacy are taught in abilty 'strands' so we can't do too much cross curricular work there as when they go back to their class bases in the afternoons there is too much inconsistency (although we are trying to incorporate this as much as possible). Also, which objective should be chosen when doing this - literacy or curriculum skill? Is it acceptable to have 2? I personally teach the SEN group who would probably struggle to take in the fact they are having 2 seperate learning objectives.
    Science rarely links with the topics, but is linked where appropriate.

KS1 seem to be having less time issues with their topics.

Any suggestions that have worked in other schools?

Thanks in advance

2. I have recently been given the role of Curriculum Coordinator in my Primary school and having rearranged and rewritten a creative curriculum one of the main issues staff are coming back to me with is the lack of time we have to do everything.
    Currently our Essentials in KS2 are 1 hour lit, 1/2 hour guided reading, 1 hour num 4 days p/w.
    1 hour Creative writing, 1 hour mental maths/problem solving, 2 hours science, 2 hours PE, 1 hour RE, 1 hour PSCHE, 30 mins French, 1 hour ICT. (I'm sure I've missed some things there...). Curriculum and topic tends to fit into the spaces.
    Our numeracy and literacy are taught in abilty 'strands' so we can't do too much cross curricular work there as when they go back to their class bases in the afternoons there is too much inconsistency (although we are trying to incorporate this as much as possible). Also, which objective should be chosen when doing this - literacy or curriculum skill? Is it acceptable to have 2? I personally teach the SEN group who would probably struggle to take in the fact they are having 2 seperate learning objectives.
    Science rarely links with the topics, but is linked where appropriate.

KS1 seem to be having less time issues with their topics.

Any suggestions that have worked in other schools?

Thanks in advance

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As a supply I've worked in many different schools and seen many different ways of tackling this.
    One way was to add up the allocated time for RE for example and do so many off-timetable days per year to cover the RE.
    Other schools alternate History one term Geog the next, DT one term Art the next etc., depending on which fit best into the topics.As long as it all balance out ovet a year.
    You need to look at the literacy elements (particularly Non-Fiction) which can be fitted into your topic work and when creative writing could be fitted in too.
    Do the staff feel as though they've been presented with a fait-accompli? If so perhaps you need to open up the discussion and ask what suggestions they have. Being co-ordinator doen't mean no-one else should be allowed to take part in the discussion , just that the 'buck stops with them' and they may have to vindicate their decisions should things go awry.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

ICT and most science can fit in to a topic (some science will need to be taught discretely).
    A whole hour of PSHCE each week? Most schools have half an hour of circle time if they're lucky....
    RE can be done as suggested above.
    How many classes/year groups are mixed for literacy and maths? If it's say Year 5 and 6 mixed, you could have the same topic across the 2 years (on a 2 year program so they don't end up repeating stuff the next year), meaning literacy and numeracy could be linked.
    Literacy is generally easily linked to topic, esp. non-fiction. I'd set the L.O. as a literacy one - e.g. "WALT/I can recognise the features of an information text", said information text would then be one related to their topic. That's how schools I've been in have done it. Some stuff, esp poetry, may need to be taught seperately.
    Maths, esp graphs and stuff, can often be linked to whatever the topic is.
    I have to say, I'm not a curriculum co-ordinator or anything, a mere NQT, but this is how schools I've been in have done it.