1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative class assemblies

Discussion in 'Primary' started by afonso1, Jan 26, 2018.

1. afonso1

afonso1 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am an NQT, teaching Year 4 and in a bit of a pickle. I have never planned or delivered a class assembly before, nor have I watched one at the school I am working at. The assemblies are very creative at the school, there is music (played live from a piano) and they tend to be of different topics- e.g. the love for reading.

Storyline - pupil hated reading, pupils advise her to read certain books, she morphs into the setting of those books, meets authors that then convince her that reading is great. It was only 15 minutes long and it was fantastic.

I'm used to very boring straight to the point assemblies and am currently having a creativity block, if there is such thing...can someone help me out here?

2. fly

fly New commenter

Have a look for the short story The Rainbow People. Basic message - on my own I'm good but together we're great!
    Divide chr into 4 groups and teach them to say the dialogue altogether and choose some confident speakers to narrate. Make it as simple or complex as you want to. No costumes, just a few props needed. I used coloured strips of crepe paper and made a sort of rainbow at the end. Shelter group use a green umbrella with hanging leaves. Finish with Bruno Mars song Count on Me.
    Voila!!!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends if you want to spend any money or not.
    Have a look at Out of The Ark and their class assemblies, see if there is one which fits with your topic.

They last more like 25 mins, than 15, but you can often cut bits out, or just tell your school/parents that it will last a bit longer than usual.