1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative career change!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sneezal, Dec 19, 2015.

1. sneezal

sneezal New commenter

Hi Theo,
    I really enjoy the creative side of teaching, including creating displays and putting together 'stunning starts' and 'fabulous finishes' to topics each term. I would like to know if there are other options 'out there' where i can spread my wings and try other things in the world of education, apart from 'just' teaching! I am primary based and have 20 years of teaching from reception to upper KS2. I have achieved the Artsmark and also have a degree in Fashion and textiles. (I am UPS 3 and of course enjoy the holidays too!!) Please could you advise me to other career paths i could take and where i could look for possible career 'changes'.
    Many thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So basically you would like:
    • A job with a high salary
    • A job with teaching holidays
    • A job with the opportunity to be artistic and creative
    • A job without teaching . . .
    I think you are asking here for me to wave my magic wand. I hesitate to suggest writing and publishing educational material because that is not generally going to provide a secure income at the level that you are used to.

:D

So I'm afraid that I am going to be totally useless! I can advise on jobs in schools, but not general careers advice. For that you will need to go to a Careers Advisor. You could start with the National Careers Service , and then also try private careers consultants.

Best wishes

3. sneezal

sneezal New commenter

Thank you anyway!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck in whatever comes out of this change!

Best wishes

sneezal likes this.
  5. forestgreen

forestgreen New commenter

You could go self employed, offering INSET on displays, take on freelance projects for schools, etc. I realise a secure income is likely to be important, so maybe go part time in existing post whilst testing the water?

sneezal likes this.
  6. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Do you want to be employed or can you afford the flexibility of self employed work as above?

If you prefer the employed option, have a look on Indeed or similar with some arty keywords and see what comes up that you can match with your skills and experience :) you may not get the same pay or holidays, but it can be worth it to get your work-life balance and some self-respect/ appreciation (if that is lacking in your current role) back. Also there can be more variety in your day to day work as workshops/ teaching/ training may not necessarily be the full role. Which keeps you on your toes and keeps it fun.

Good luck!

sneezal likes this.
  7. hogglepop

hogglepop New commenter

I love some of the ideas on here :)

sneezal likes this.
  8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Organising children's parties?

sneezal likes this.