1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative & Media Diploma - Unit 6 Practitioner help needed!!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by l_vaughan, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    This is my first post. I'm currently teaching the Edexcell Creative & Media diploma and am struggling with Unit 6: Investigation.
    The unit requires the students to write a 3000 word critical report / essay on a media practitioner. The practitioner needs to have a cross disciplinary approach (an actor turned director / artist turned film maker, for example). I have already submitted this unit and numerous students failed due to the poor choice of practitioners. The trouble seems to be picking practitioners that are too contemporary, therefore not having enough critical review on their work.
    I have contacted the exam board for advice, or suggestions and scoured the specification. All the advice I seem to get are "andy warhol" and "david hockney". I know that these artists have elements of media in their career, but they are, in my opinion at least - NOT specifically a media practitioner.
    Can anyone suggest some practitioners for my students to study? A list is below of the top ones I have considered:
    Andy Warhol
    Orson Welles
    David Hockney
    Walt Disney
    Clint Eastwood
    Tom Hanks
    David Bowie
    Charlie Chaplin
    Salvador Dali
    David Lynch
    Kevin Spacey
    Banksy
    Dennis Hopper
    Ben Affleck
    Ray Harryhausen
    Mel Gibson
    Ricky Gervais
    Chris Morris
    Madonna
    Woody Allen
    ANY help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Note:
    Sylvester Stallone (art, actor, director, producer and writer)
    and
    Tim Burton (poet, artist, director, author)

3. I was going to suggest Tarantino, but I guess he is far too contemporary...

4. I'm finding this extremely difficult. The list provided above contains practitioners I have come across. There has been literally "0" guidance from the exam board on this, despite an email asking for some approved practitioners to focus on.
    Tarantino is actually good one, there is a wealth of material on his work - but he only loosley fits into the cross disciplinary approach.
    Video installation may be the way to go with this... although you can understand how well that will go down with "pure" media students.

5. This unit is a challenge - particularly trying to pin down those practitioners with a clear inter-disciplinary approach.
    We do have a student doing Tarantino and I think there is enough material to justify that he does work within two disciplines. Other students are doing Tim Burton, James Cameron, Stravinsky and Matt Groening.
    Remember that they get 25 marks for their research log so they should actually be able to pass on their log alone if this is up to scratch.

6. I too am struggling with Investigation - last year my students did really badly - the highest grade was D. The students ALL had massive research logs - but even then many got U's.
    I had feedback from Edexcel but all they said was that the essays had to show how they combined their disciplines. I knew my students would struggle to do well with the essay as they are not the kind who do well sitting and writing, they are mu\ch more hands on creative people.
    The practitioners they wrote about last year were Danny Boyle (from Theatre to TV to film and back to theatre)
    Speilberg - from TV to film and back to TV
    James Cameron
    John Lassetter
    Garry Marshall
    Judd Apatow

This year the students are doing Tarrantino, Tim Burton, Ridley Scott, Jackie Chan, Danny Boyle and possibly George Lucas.I still feel very unsure of how I am going to help them do well as I am not sure of what the moderator wants.
    It would be good to talk to each other as we Creative and Media Diploma teachers are a very rare species!

7. I am teaching this unit and understand that the 3000 words need to revolve around pieces of work that demonstrate the ways in which creative practitioners move between disciplines, bringing the influences of the discipline they are perhaps better known for into another. This is pretty much what it says in the opening blurb from the unit 6 spec.
    However my own dealings with the exam board have been frustrating and trying to get anything concrete out of them is a joke. They can't even put a top grade exemplar in their resources to give an indication of what one should look like.
    Thanks for your list
    Jean Paul Gaultier and Vivienne Westwood are also good - I think!

8. Hi,
    I was wondering how well your students did in the essay you discussed above?