1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative activity for Foundation Stage

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gemini11, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hello,

I need help I have an interview on Tuesday for a Foundation stage job. I have been told that I am 'Teaching a 20 minute group session to 6 children, with 10 minutes preparation time. Focus: Creative Development'
    <font size="3">Does anyone have any ideas?</font>
    <font size="3"></font>
    <font size="3">Thanks in adavnce.</font>
    <font size="3">Steph x x x</font>

2. Hello,

I need help I have an interview on Tuesday for a Foundation stage job. I have been told that I am 'Teaching a 20 minute group session to 6 children, with 10 minutes preparation time. Focus: Creative Development'
    <font size="3">Does anyone have any ideas?</font>
    <font size="3"></font>
    <font size="3">Thanks in adavnce.</font>
    <font size="3">Steph x x x</font>

3. Is it nursery or reception?

4. Reception

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Have a look at the EYFs curriculum, choose a learning objective and think of an activity based on it. If you post these on this thread, we'll be able to give you some feedback on your ideas.

6. <font size="2" face="Avenir-Roman">Thank you
    I was thinking of doing

'Recognises and explores how
    sounds can be changed'

By using a song like I hear thunder and a variety of instruments and asking the children think about how thunder sounds. Thinking about volume. Then move onto the pitter patter rain drops part and again what instruments can we use. Can we use the same instrument? How can we change the way we play the instrument to suit the rain? Maybe have some other bits like rice etc. to place on drum how has it changed sound?
    Steph
    </font>

7. If you have access to a computer you might consider using the BBC radio site, which has a selection of sound clips including weather sounds. You could play these to the children, and use them for your discussion.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolradio/subjects/earlylearning/stimulussoundslibrary

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

The main activity sounds lovely, and links well to the learning intention. Just 2 provisos:
    1. 20 minutes is quite a long time for this kind of activity. I'd break it up with a couple of activities to get children moving eg action songs.
    2. Do you have some instruments that you will be taking with you? If you are planning to use the school's instruments you might want to phone and check what instruments are available and where they are stored - it would be awful to turn up and find that they were stored centrally and other teachers were using them.

9. Thank you

I will be taking my own instruments for the children to use, I have 15 - 20 mins.
    I thought I would start by teaching the children the song I hear thunder then talking about how thunder sounds and think of some words to describe it and then children explore the instruments we could use and discuss why. Also discuss how we could make the thunder louder/quieter. We would then think about the pitter patter rain drops part and discuss what they thought the rain was like, words to describe. Then children explore instruments for rain discuss the instruments they choose. Children to explore making rain quieter/louder. We can then finish off by singing the song again putting the instrument to the song.
    x x x