1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creative activities for introducing p, i, n

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tricky7, Sep 27, 2008.

1. I am teaching these sounds this week using Jolly Phonics and am looking for some inspiration for creative activities that the children could do linked to the letter p , i , n

For i - one idea is a Inky the mouse puppet.

But struggling for p and n

Any help would be appreciated

2. Could you make a parrot? You remember those ones that you make out of card and then they can balance on your finger, there must be some templates on the net. Can't think of n, you need Sally Featherstones Little Book of Phonics. Nothing new or astounding in it but all the ideas you have ever had and all the words in order, useful as back up!

3. Thanks

Used to be able to search on here and find some ideas but not as easy to find stuff now.....Some ideas early these week, e.g bubbles for b.

Maybe for p we could make a paper plate pink pig

4. Have to say I don't find this new designs very user friendly.......perhaps its time I retired!

5. tog

tog

Necklaces for "n" maybe. Or a "night" picture. If you don't need them to make something you could have a "I smell with my little <u>n</u>ose" game to identity smells.

Pirates are always good for "p" - could they make a pirate hat or a pirate flag?

Or a pasta picture. On a plate? Or have a picnic/party (real or pretend)

Bit stuck for "i" as all I keep thinking is ink. Maybe hide some insects in the sand/soil/jelly/water tray to hunt for.

6. Indian head dresses for i. Card & feathers.

7. We are using 'Nodding Noddy' for 'n'- going to sing the noddy song and make a noddy picture where his head nods.
    For 'p' we are making pea and pasta pictures on plates and making pirate patches to wear to a popcorn pirate party!

Hope that helps!

8. If you are doing I before P why don't you make invitations for the party the following week? I also used a tent to make and igloo in my class, we looked at inuits and how they live, kids went fishing for letter p's, using magnetic letters and rods, had a picnic of foods beginning with p, popcorn, plums etc...erm sponge painted pink and purple parrots with concertina wings...can't think of anything else off the top of my head will look at my planning from last year. Hope this helps!

9. For i we made finger cone mice and paper aeroplanes for n, but i do like everyone's else's suggestions and may use them in my planning! x

10. What do you mean by "creative"? Maybe your starting point should be to replace this word with "effective"?

11. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Do you need to go to all that trouble? Don't the little songs and the actions that go with each sound in Jolly Phonics help them remember that week's sounds? And the other activities?
    If you have to do three pieces of artwork based around the letter sounds each week it sounds a bit of a drag for you and them.

12. I teach in nursery and maybe you are in reception - but setting up a birthday party in the role play corner is a great creative activity for reinforcing Jolly Phonics and all the other areas of learning. Playdough and bun cases, birthday cake candles and holders, to 'puff out the candles' etc. Have Inky mouse puppet to the party plus other soft toys. Print off downloaded invitation cards and encourage them to write them for Inky or whoever they choose, they'll need to use their phonic knowledge to do this; display the relevant JP cards on the wall, add in numeral and counting cards on display as well. Loads of opportunities to develop language with adult imput as well as their own creative fun.
    Have just bought a set of letter shapes suitable for printing with - this week's 6 letters are on a tray by the painting easel - if they want to use them. Lots of creative printing with them and opportunities for children to talk - 'this is n, it makes this sound doesn't it?' etc. Good for physical development as well!
    We also have 'Letter Roads' - big mats with 'roads' in letter shapes - I velcro down the relevant 6 on the carpet each week and they play with cars and the garage there.
    Chalks outside - write the letters on the ground and then see what they do next. E.g. We had planted sunflowers at the time and when I chalked an 's' two children drew an amazing sunflower with the seeds falling from the head. Our children like spontaneously making letter shapes from playdough as well.
    For us it's all about integrated learning in order for the children to make connections between areas of learning. My reception colleague does much the same thing - hope you have fun!

13. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi Tricky7
    Have you seen the book 'First Hand Experience - What matters to children'. An alphabet of learning from the real world.
    By Diane Rich, Denise Casanova, Annabelle Dixon, Mary Jane Drummond, Andrea Durrant and Cathy Myer
    It is not specifically for Early Years but is geared for KS1 and 2 as well. I often use it for inspiration with my reception class
    Eg. A is for apple. It gives ideas of
    places to visit - orchard, apple farm, market etc
    Make - cook apples, draw apples, work on fabric etc
    Collect - apple names : cox, russet etc apple words : peel, skin, core, pip etc
    Books - The tiny seed, Snow White etc
    Investigate - a grater, a knife, a peeler etc
    Questions to ask - Apples are red or are they? Apples are big or are they? Are apples dead or alive? Why is a crab apple called a crab apple?
    Hope you found inspiration for p and n.
    SB

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think these are lovely ideas but do they enhance learning the letter/sound "a" or are they a complication?
    Sometimes you need to think about what you actually want the child to learn/remember from the activity

15. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi msz
    I agree entirely - the book is designed to use as a springboard from which one can launch into the first hand experiences in the physical world in which we live - looking, listening, tasting, touching etc which is so important. It has nothing to do with the teaching of phonics.
    Thanks - perhaps I should have made myself more clear!
    SB