1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creationism in your school

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by DepakUllal, Dec 7, 2015.

1. DepakUllal

DepakUllal Occasional commenter

As somebody who believes in Creationist theory, I was wondering if anybody works in a school sympathetic to such belief.

2. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

Do you mean sympathetic as in feel sorry for people who believe it?

Sorry, that was a joke. I teach it as part of a unit on different Christian beliefs on the origin of the world. It's a struggle with scientifically-minded Year 11s, I must admit.

3. DepakUllal

DepakUllal Occasional commenter

Thank you. It is good to hear that you have difficulties with this matter at school as well.

4. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

Are you an RE teacher yourself?
    I have been teaching for 12 years and have always taken time over creationism to unpack it as well as I can. I compare young earth and old earth creationism and try to respond to some of the concerns they have by explaining creationist critiques of evolution. Having said this, and despite the fact I have absolutely no agenda or anti-creationist rhetoric, I find it a very difficult position to really analyse with the students. The age of the earth and the fossil record alone present serious obstacles to our discussion of it as a credible theory and it doesn't help that so many Christians now take a theistic evolutionist view (as I think this sends the message that creationism is also 'outdated'). I would be really interested to hear how you propose I can meet those challenges? Thanks.

5. LordSquiffy

LordSquiffy New commenter

My own beliefs don't, and shouldn't impact the teaching of this subject. Its in the spec, so I teach it as something some people believe, but it is viewed as a 'wrong' view by most/all of my students. They accept the scientific evidence for evolution through natural selection - its not my job to tell them what to think, only what some people think and how that may impact them.

6. expensivechildminder

expensivechildminder New commenter

Creationism is nonsense and all teachers should refuse to teach it , it is an affront to reason and has no place in any school. To all the teachers who believe it I say quit your job now you are not fit to be teaching you are lacking the required intellect. Evolution has volumes of testable evidence in its favour , creationism fails every test. if we are going down the road of all theories are equally valid then I want the tooth fairy and father Christmas to be taught as well due to them being on an equal footing with creationism with regard to the evidence.

EmanuelShadrack and gervase00 like this.
  7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I belong to the flat earth society and have problems getting anyone to believe it is true. One day I will walk to the edge, fall off and give the non believers the proof.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

RE is not about teaching what you believe, it's about teaching what other people believe as a part of their religion. It is fine to invite rational criticism of any system of belief, and given that all religions are actually empirically unprovable anyway, to the majority of the scientifically-minded they can all appear equally bonkers. But that's beside the point. The purpose of RE is not to push your own agenda or rubbish anyone else's belief system - it's to educate students in what other people believe, why they believe it, how they celebrate or practice that belief - and perhaps most importantly, how those beliefs and practices inform and direct their lives. If you can understand that, you are in a better position to challenge, critique or argue against 'socially unacceptable practices' of a religion from a scholarly position rather than just because you don't understand and think it's all rubbish.

lizziescat and Rott Weiler like this.
  9. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

gervase00 likes this.
  10. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Creationism falls into the category of religious belief and not a theory. As monicabilongame has already noted, the role of religious education is not to teach children to subscribe to religious beliefs. Instead, the subject is geared towards critical, rational and cognitive understanding of religious beliefs and practices with a view to promoting sympathetic understanding of religion and religious literacy, amongst others.

EmanuelShadrack and AaronCocker like this.
  11. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

I agree with DrJay

12. AaronCocker

AaronCocker New commenter

Creationism should only even be taught as a topical area covered by the Bible, as opposed to being treated as a theory. For something to be a theory it must be scientifically falsifiable, evolution can be declared falsifiable because another theory could be discovered, which supersedes evolution in future; though unlikely to happen.

We can prove with almost certainty that humans evolved from ape like creatures, this is why it is taught as a theory. Creationism cannot be proven or disproven so logically it is not falsifiable, ergo not a theory.