1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating small booklets using word

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by sara2323, Jan 26, 2011.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I've just seen some booklets- A4 paper folded with a printed cover and printed inside pages with a box to draw a picture and lines underneath. I'm sure they were created using word, not sure how!
    Just wondering if anyone has used word to create booklets like this?

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I've just seen some booklets- A4 paper folded with a printed cover and printed inside pages with a box to draw a picture and lines underneath. I'm sure they were created using word, not sure how!
    Just wondering if anyone has used word to create booklets like this?

3. create a normal page, twice (ie two page document) and print 2 to a page?

4. you make a 4x2 grid on A4 landscape - using dtp software usually, the upper 4 cells (1 - 4) have inverted text boxes, the lower 4 (5 - 6) are normal.
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8
    You then add the content and print. Fold along the edges of the 8 cells. Once all the folds are established make a single fold along the long axis of the paper, cut a longitudinal slot a couple of mm wide, along this main fold, creating the slot between 2,3 and 6,7. Keep the paper folded along its long axis and if all the creases are done well you can push the 1,5 and 4,8 sections towards the centre. The 2,3 and 6,7 panels will be squeezed outwards and you will end up with a cross-shape which can be folded into a mini-book. I keep a template on our shared area and do not expect kids to set all this up. You need to practise with the width of the thin centre slot you cut and practise your folding - the pre-creasing is the key. This is an invaluable educational tool, second only to the lollipop.

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I only have an old verison here at school, where I can't find a solution but is this not more of a job for a template in Publisher?

6. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

I'm unsure quite what you mean. I think newer versions of Word might do it for you, or there are Macros that can print in book order. I use PDFCreator (free open source PDF driver) to print to a PDF file, then print as booklet from Adobe Reader.